d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Piano Advice
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Sep 28 2012 11:28pm
So I've taken a couple piano lessons when I was younger, but I'm really trying to get back into it. I'm wondering what I should do to teach myself or learn better?

Do I look up song tutorials on youtube? Or what is the best way for me to learn and strengthen my mind and ability to play?

/e: any advice would be greatly appreciated.
i'd also love to post videos, etc. of my progress in the near future for anybody interested :)

This post was edited by theoldwisedude on Sep 28 2012 11:30pm
Gold: 4,768.80
Sep 29 2012 03:39am
Have a look for Piano Grades 1-5, that will pretty much help give you a complete foundation for playing Piano. I would recommend the same to guitarists aswell.
Sep 29 2012 12:07pm
Quote (theoldwisedude @ Sep 29 2012 01:28am)
So I've taken a couple piano lessons when I was younger, but I'm really trying to get back into it. I'm wondering what I should do to teach myself or learn better?

Do I look up song tutorials on youtube? Or what is the best way for me to learn and strengthen my mind and ability to play?
/e: any advice would be greatly appreciated.
i'd also love to post videos, etc. of my progress in the near future for anybody interested :)

Im no expert, but im gonna go with the timeless response practice makes perfect

find some songs/excersizes or whatever, and just make sure you keep at it for at least an hour or two a day. And probably just as important for piano, more so than for guitar, play with a metronome, i doubt piano lends its self very easily to helping you keep a rhythm

This post was edited by blunderwonder2 on Sep 29 2012 12:07pm
Banned
Sep 29 2012 02:14pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sep 29 2012 04:39am)
Have a look for Piano Grades 1-5, that will pretty much help give you a complete foundation for playing Piano. I would recommend the same to guitarists aswell.

and where do I find those at?
:)
Oct 2 2012 11:31pm
Quote (blunderwonder2 @ Sep 29 2012 11:07am)
practice makes perfect

it really does
Oct 3 2012 11:43am
Quote (theoldwisedude @ Sep 29 2012 04:14pm)
and where do I find those at? :)

Also curious of this.

I need some piano help as well.
Banned
Oct 3 2012 08:53pm
Quote (Rushton @ Oct 3 2012 12:43pm)
Also curious of this.

I need some piano help as well.

If you do find out, PLEASE post links etc. in thread. Would be so much appreciated!
Gold: 1,000.00
Oct 4 2012 08:27pm
If you're interested, I have a pdf of a scales and arpeggios book (not limited to - there are also exercises and explanations of what you're doing) that most piano instructors would recommend.

I'm not sure where you are as a player, but as far as pieces go (for traditional music) I would recommend some Carl Czerny. He wrote a lot of etudes for piano ranging from basic to intermediate-advanced.

If he's not really accessible to you, a lot more pieces can be found on imslp.org. It's a open source project for sheet music of all types of instrumentation and styles. If you like more popular music, you could try dictating some simple songs on your own. It's a good way of training your ear (among others things too). In my opinion, learning pieces is the best teacher (with scales and arpeggios as a daily supplement).

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, just ask. I'll try my best to answer them.

P.S. Record yourself (a good quality audio recording. Pay attention to balance - is the accompaniment clear and distinguishable from the melody? Rhythm/tempo {practice with metronome}, and lastly a video recording so you can see your technique and make changes accordingly).
Banned
Oct 4 2012 09:07pm
Quote (meista_one @ Oct 4 2012 09:27pm)
If you're interested, I have a pdf of a scales and arpeggios book (not limited to - there are also exercises and explanations of what you're doing) that most piano instructors would recommend.

I'm not sure where you are as a player, but as far as pieces go (for traditional music) I would recommend some Carl Czerny. He wrote a lot of etudes for piano ranging from basic to intermediate-advanced.

If he's not really accessible to you, a lot more pieces can be found on imslp.org. It's a open source project for sheet music of all types of instrumentation and styles. If you like more popular music, you could try dictating some simple songs on your own. It's a good way of training your ear (among others things too). In my opinion, learning pieces is the best teacher (with scales and arpeggios as a daily supplement).

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, just ask. I'll try my best to answer them.

P.S. Record yourself (a good quality audio recording. Pay attention to balance - is the accompaniment clear and distinguishable from the melody? Rhythm/tempo {practice with metronome}, and lastly a video recording so you can see your technique and make changes accordingly).

tyvm, pmed.
Gold: 6,000.00
Oct 5 2012 12:41am
Work on exercises such as, know how all basic chords are built - be able to do that in other forms, in all keys. Work on the harmonics, scales, divided chord-buildup and breakdown, learn all basic keys (C to B + C# to B + Cb to Bb) if it turns out that you've gotten far then learn the minors aswell.
Octave moves in a scale, e.g C1/C2 to C2/C3 and down - do it in other rythms than just regular - try 1/8 to the fifth key pause there by 2/4 then replay the fifth and repeat until you've reached 2 octaves.

Good luck!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll