d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > New To Musicians Chat
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 31 2012 06:35pm
I am currently 18 years old, I have been writing notes, sort of a poetry type, I always called it either poetry or song lyrics.
I am a big fan of hip-hop/jazz/funk/rock n roll and honestly I would like to be a songwriter myself but I don't know the steps I need to take in order to get there.
Any programs I should know about to get me started? I really enjoy sad-sort of melody, or just very calming.
What instruments should I start looking into, and feel free to PM me some artists that you may think I'll be into. thanks to anyone that posts
Gold: 6,911.01
Sep 1 2012 11:24am
get a keyboard and learn some theory on it
it will help alot
then you can go from there
Sep 3 2012 08:56pm
Quote (holzstoben @ Sep 1 2012 12:24pm)
get a keyboard and learn some theory on it
it will help alot
then you can go from there

I was planning on doing this soon, once I get my hands on some more money I'll definitely be teaching myself quite a few things.
anyone else?
Retired Moderator
Gold: 1,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Sep 4 2012 06:33pm
Starting with a piano would really help you understand the patern of notes and chords on other instruments.
I would suggest you get a teacher and read some books on how to get started/basics of playing (so you don't get bad ''playing habits'')

Using computer programs that allow you to write songs in a tab (numbers) type and after that, transfering these songs into real music theory (notes) would also help you understand how it's done.

Good luck sir :)
Gold: 11.11
Sep 5 2012 02:16pm
Couldn't agree more about getting a piano/keyboard. Another great option is to get a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and a MIDI controller (essentially a MIDI keyboard) which you can use to play pretty much any sound you can make/imagine right from your computer. Of course it's less portable than a regular keyboard but if you plan on composing/making music on your computer (which is pretty essential if you're on a tight budget IMO) you will be using it later anyway. Learn some percussion too. I know people who play the guitar and are great at chords and melodies but can't play a rhythm worth shit. Besides, piano is a very rhythmic instrument so it will benefit you. But mainly, above all, get interested and excited about making music. Don't worry about what steps you're taking or where you are musically right now, just make music and learn to love doing it. The rest will come naturally over time.
Sep 5 2012 05:14pm
Quote (HERETICtheory @ Sep 5 2012 03:16pm)
Couldn't agree more about getting a piano/keyboard.  Another great option is to get a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and a MIDI controller (essentially a MIDI keyboard) which you can use to play pretty much any sound you can make/imagine right from your computer.  Of course it's less portable than a regular keyboard but if you plan on composing/making music on your computer (which is pretty essential if you're on a tight budget IMO) you will be using it later anyway.  Learn some percussion too.  I know people who play the guitar and are great at chords and melodies but can't play a rhythm worth shit.  Besides, piano is a very rhythmic instrument so it will benefit you.  But mainly, above all, get interested and excited about making music.  Don't worry about what steps you're taking or where you are musically right now, just make music and learn to love doing it.  The rest will come naturally over time.

Thanks, all of the feedback really helps, I'm looking up introduction guides on the basics of guitars. I've always loved music and had a passion and being a high school graduate I'm thinking that I really want to get into that field. Though I should have learned how to play an instrument at an earlier year I just really feel that I want to do something that I enjoy, and frankly music is what I enjoy.

On another note, can anyone PM me or post about the basics with amps, and electric guitars? I like to learn slow about each but knowing the basics really helps for whenever I do get started. Thanks!
Gold: 11.11
Sep 5 2012 08:13pm
Quote (mArz @ Sep 5 2012 06:14pm)
Thanks, all of the feedback really helps, I'm looking up introduction guides on the basics of guitars. I've always loved music and had a passion and being a high school graduate I'm thinking that I really want to get into that field. Though I should have learned how to play an instrument at an earlier year I just really feel that I want to do something that I enjoy, and frankly music is what I enjoy.

On another note, can anyone PM me or post about the basics with amps, and electric guitars? I like to learn slow about each but knowing the basics really helps for whenever I do get started. Thanks!

Well look man, you should totally do whatever makes you happy. Fuck working a job that makes you wanna kill yourself each night. If you want to do music, do it.

I took a lot of music lessons when I was a kid. My parents pushed me to learn piano but I hated it. I never practiced and I didn't get any enjoyment out of it. I thought maybe I needed to learn something "cooler" so I took guitar lessons. Same shit, no motivation, no real pleasure, just fucking around playing power chords all day. I know it takes time, but I was impatient. I went through even more piano lessons, drum lessons, theory lessons. It all worked out pretty much the same, unmotivating and too structured. It wasn't until about 2 weeks after my drum teacher told me he couldn't keep teaching anymore that I sat down at my kit and really had a fucking great time. I was hooked on drums after that but I rarely play now, due mostly to space constraints and my living situation. All of my little experiences with each instrument helped but ultimately I don't walk around at parties calling myself a pianist, guitarist, or even, what I've spent most time doing, a drummer. I am simply somebody who is passionate about music and I make it however I can manage.

Obviously you don't know me or what kind of music I make or if it's even any good in your opinion, but what I'm trying to illustrate here is that a) it's never too late to learn because it's not about how long you've been playing so much as it's about your creativity and your passion to play. And b) that you don't even need to learn an instrument in this day and age. Certainly depends where you see yourself in the musical realm but from where I'm standing, the world is your oyster. That's what I'm really getting at. I am currently finishing up audio engineering school where I have learned theory, my way around most instruments, and production value and techniques. This is plenty to make almost any kind of music, in my humble opinion. Unless you are a classically trained jazz or classical musician, most modern genres of music are not so heady in theory that you need to be an expert.

If you wanna play guitar, as it seems from your previous post perhaps you do, then just get a guitar and make yourself happy dude. I'm really no expert, there's a ton of people here that could dance circles around me in terms of musical professionalism I guess but for me it's just the journey of learning to make music that is of the highest quality I can. And in this day and age, the quality of music you can make in your bedroom can exceed some of the tunes you still hear on the radio today. No joke, this is THE time to become a musician. The whole world is becoming connected and opening up and there's more opportunity than ever to express yourself artistically.

Lastly, I'd recommend getting a DAW if you don't have one. They'll all do the trick but find one that you like using and can understand. Learning to produce the music you make is, in my opinion, just as important as learning to play the music. I can't help you with the guitar and amp stuff much, I know a bit but not enough to really help you as I'm not anywhere near what I would consider a guitarist but I'm sure there's plenty of people here that can help you. I'd also suggest joining some serious music forums. There are volumes of amazing information all over the web. Check out gearslutz if you haven't but be warned, that forum can be a mess of opinions, some informed, some... not so much. Well if you make any music I'd love to hear what you end up with. Always good to see somebody trying to unleash their artistic potential.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll