d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Monitor Speakers: Good For Enjoying Music Too?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 125.00
Aug 24 2012 08:49pm
I'm looking at picking up a pair of KRK VXT6 monitor speakers. For me, I'm a complete amateur coming back to the piano, learning how to mix music, relearning the piano, etc. So for me, a pair of monitor speakers really only makes sense (at the moment) if they can double up as also being good for music enjoyment.

I tend to like to hear as much detail in music as possible (nothing muddled out), I hate cheap speakers (ex. $200 computer speakers by Logitech, etc), and I tend not to listen to music extremely loudly (I like detail at medium noise levels).

I realise I should just go out and demo speakers if I can, but that's a difficulty at the moment (I'll hopefully get around to it). Right now I'm just trying to do my e-research. I've spent quite a bit of time googling without any good answers. To me "enhanced sound" and "flat response" are things I understand, but emulating that in my head... I just don't know what that would end up being like for enjoyment purposes. Eventually if I like music mixing, I realise monitors will be very beneficial, and I may end up picking them up one way or another, but at the moment I'd just need that extra little excuse to make a $1000 purchase something I'd consider worth it.

This post was edited by Canadian_Man on Aug 24 2012 08:50pm
Gold: 0.00
Aug 27 2012 03:05pm
Monitors aren't for listening to music. They are for finding and correcting errors in music.
They aren't for pleasure listening.

If you want pleasure listening speakers, go with something besides KRK.
I don't know a whole lot about speakers that are good for pleasure listening but I would never recommend studio monitors for it.
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Aug 27 2012 04:57pm
You can listen to music for pleasure on monitors. You can color the music a bit with an equalizer, and there are free music players for computers with them built in. There's no massive difference where you won't find enjoy music if you listen to it on monitors, and adjusting an EQ while listening to music helps you learn a bit about the frequencies of things you're hearing.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 28 2012 12:40pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Aug 27 2012 06:57pm)
You can listen to music for pleasure on monitors. You can color the music a bit with an equalizer, and there are free music players for computers with them built in. There's no massive difference where you won't find enjoy music if you listen to it on monitors, and adjusting an EQ while listening to music helps you learn a bit about the frequencies of things you're hearing.

Of course music isn't found terrible listening through monitors but monitors are designed to point out errors in a song and individual tracks.

If you want to listen to the music as a whole and let it blend together with silky smooth sounds, I'd go with something besides monitors.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll