d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Music Students And Graduates
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.00
Aug 22 2012 11:53pm
for those of you familiar with theory, studying music or anything further quick question.

I'm close to getting my transfer credits, will most likely be attending csusc(cal state santa cruz) for their music program(havent decided on focus yet)

I'm well versed in diatonic harmony, still kinda shit at figured bass though. I've taken a chromatic harmony class got a C, it was hard as fuck imo.

just wondering how much I would need the knowledge and if what i have up until now would be enough to manage in say a graduate program.
Gold: 1,000.00
Aug 27 2012 07:18pm
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. If you're asking what will be on a graduate diagnostics exam, it covers what most universities cover in the first 2 years of theory. I just took it a few weeks ago and it had most of the stuff I learned in theory my freshman and sophomore year (yeah figured bass and chromaticism in harmony was on it). But since they're shoving 2 years of theory into an hour and a half, there aren't going to be a junk of questions on one thing (I think there were maybe 2 or 3 questions on figured bass). Chromatic harmony is a lot broader, so I would pay more attention to that (chromaticism covered a huge part of the written portion of the exam for me).

If you have questions about either two subjects, let me know.

I hope this answers your question. Good Luck.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll