d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Just Got My First Acoustic Guitar :)
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 50.76
Warn: 20%
Aug 18 2012 09:10am
Hey guys I've had my bass, Oscar Schmitt by Washburn, for awhile now but I've decided to trade it for a Yamaha F350 acoustic guitar. I took guitar class in high school and loved it ever since but never had enough money to buy both. I can't wait to put in the hours and just enjoy playing it. Winters coming sooner than I would think so I'm going to be inside a lot and I hope there is an amazing youtube channel or website that has all the essential, from basics to advanced, for learning guitar. I wish I had money for 1 on 1 lesson but I do not. I do work at Best Buy in Canada so if anyone knows some good software that can teach you that would also work. :) What I'm really wondering is if anyone knows the best way to learn how to advance my skills.

e/ also please PM with any help other than just post or do both so we can get everybody's opinion.

This post was edited by Juicedddd on Aug 18 2012 09:11am
Gold: 4,768.80
Aug 18 2012 09:25am
Lovely mate, thats a solid guitar to learn on - you may even end up keeping it!

I'll say what I always say, chords are the most important thing to learn in the beginning - and the best song for said chords is The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun.

You don't need software to learn, you need patience and this website : www.ultimate-guitar.com

That site is the bible of guitar and bass info, tab, reviews etc.

Huge database of tabs, user submitted and professional, there's a forum if you can't find a tab, and it has introduced a pay-to-browse option that has professional lesson videos aswell as a type of advanced tab to really help understand things.

IMO, tad unnecessary and expensive. Might be an idea to look at Grades 1-6 aswell, gives you fundamentals for life.

Youtube has plenty of lessons - use the tab on UG.com and if you can't work it out, watch a lesson on youtube! :)

This post was edited by bob(Cs2) on Aug 18 2012 09:25am
Gold: 60.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 18 2012 10:08am
Google

Justin Guitar

and read his beginner lessons. there are over a dozen lessons covering the most basic chords and common technical problems beginners have.
After that, you should check out the intermediate level. That's where I am currently at. Alternatively you can just youtube songs that you want to learn, and learn from those. I highly recommend trying to play songs by ear after you get used to your acoustic guitar
Aug 18 2012 10:58am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 18 2012 11:25am)
Lovely mate, thats a solid guitar to learn on - you may even end up keeping it!

I'll say what I always say, chords are the most important thing to learn in the beginning - and the best song for said chords is The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun.

You don't need software to learn, you need patience and this website : www.ultimate-guitar.com

That site is the bible of guitar and bass info, tab, reviews etc.

Huge database of tabs, user submitted and professional, there's a forum if you can't find a tab, and it has introduced a pay-to-browse option that has professional lesson videos aswell as a type of advanced tab to really help understand things.

IMO, tad unnecessary and expensive. Might be an idea to look at Grades 1-6 aswell, gives you fundamentals for life.

Youtube has plenty of lessons - use the tab on UG.com and if you can't work it out, watch a lesson on youtube! :)

Quote (TheMagicFlightBox @ Aug 18 2012 12:08pm)
Google

Justin Guitar

and read his beginner lessons. there are over a dozen lessons covering the most basic chords and common technical problems beginners have.
After that, you should check out the intermediate level. That's where I am currently at. Alternatively you can just youtube songs that you want to learn, and learn from those. I highly recommend trying to play songs by ear after you get used to your acoustic guitar

Thank you both very much... sorry for the late response. I always get caught up/emotional when I start reading about old time musicians and how thing would thing would have been different if lives weren't stolen away from us like Buddy Holly. I know this doesn't have much to do with me learning guitar but I'm just so thankful for people stepping outside of the boundaries and giving us their souls in songs (literally getting teary eyed thinking about this). Just think if Eric Clapton passed away young since his career didn't really kick off until later. Aggghhh I can go on forever about this.... can't friggin wait till I get my guitar!!!
Gold: 16,380.00
Aug 18 2012 11:30am
Quote (Juicedddd @ Aug 18 2012 11:58am)
Thank you both very much... sorry for the late response. I always get caught up/emotional when I start reading about old time musicians and how thing would thing would have been different if lives weren't stolen away from us like Buddy Holly. I know this doesn't have much to do with me learning guitar but I'm just so thankful for people stepping outside of the boundaries and giving us their souls in songs (literally getting teary eyed thinking about this). Just think if Eric Clapton passed away young since his career didn't really kick off until later. Aggghhh I can go on forever about this.... can't friggin wait till I get my guitar!!!

I'm proud of you kid. You appreciate good music.

e:

Quote (TheMagicFlightBox @ Aug 18 2012 11:08am)
Google

Justin Guitar

Vouch this. Take a peek at this as well: http://www.youtube.com/user/rockongoodpeople

This post was edited by rko_evolution on Aug 18 2012 11:31am
Gold: 4,768.80
Aug 18 2012 11:36am
I know what you mean, Hendrix and SRV are perfect examples of this. With regards to the Clapton comment, when Clapton is gone it will be awful, BUT there will be Joe Bonamassa - and he will continue the Clapton legacy.

That man is just... something else. I recommend Dustbowl abum, it's brilliant. I have everything, but that's really a 10/10 album.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 18 2012 04:19pm
you can torrent most of the crap you need, and basic tablature stuff will keep you busy for years anyway :/, either way i would buy a basic book cause theyre usually more organized and straightfoward. Word of advice though, make sure to go back and play the things you like, for months i get caught up playing stuff because i can play it, i would pick songs that seemed like they were more my speed but not because I really liked them Oo, and its important to ocassionlly remember why you wanted to play in the first place.
Aug 18 2012 06:56pm
Quote (rko_evolution @ Aug 18 2012 01:30pm)
I'm proud of you kid. You appreciate good music.

e:

Vouch this. Take a peek at this as well: http://www.youtube.com/user/rockongoodpeople

Thank you, its hard to find people that appreciate real music nowadays. Also I've been on that justinguitar website now for a couple hours.... love it.

Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Aug 18 2012 01:36pm)
I know what you mean, Hendrix and SRV are perfect examples of this. With regards to the Clapton comment, when Clapton is gone it will be awful, BUT there will be Joe Bonamassa - and he will continue the Clapton legacy.

That man is just... something else. I recommend Dustbowl abum, it's brilliant. I have everything, but that's really a 10/10 album.

I will absolutely look into that, thank you.

Retired Moderator
Gold: 48,069.69
Trader: Trusted
Aug 20 2012 02:30am
Im also just learning to play

bout to buy myself a Yamaha FG700S

ive found a few very nice places to learn how to play one specifically usefull.

PM me if u wanna chat / swap tips etc
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll