d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Headphone Selection > Brand And Specific Model
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22.00
Aug 11 2012 01:53am
Hey guys, so I've been wanting to get a pair of headphones for a while now, since I really like the feel, and earphones are kind of bad for my ear (or so I've heard).

Reason why I'm inquiring is because I haven't the slightest clue about current headphones, in terms of brand/quality/etc., and my budget is around 300 or less (in Canada).
I've heard people say different things about Beats vs. Sennheiser vs. Bose, and I'm trying to get some honest, experienced opinions on helping me decide.

On a scale of importance from 1-10, I'm mainly looking for characteristics such as:

Clear/Quality (original?) Sound: 9
Isolation: 8
Comfortableness: 9
Durability: 9
Bass: 6
Design/Looks: 6
Being able to travel around with it on my head all day: 9

So with those stated, can people who have perhaps used these brands share their thoughts? Please keep in mind that I'm not only looking for opinions on the brand, but more importantly also the specific model (because I'm clueless on this too :mellow: )

Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by Nearei on Aug 11 2012 01:55am
Gold: 12.00
Aug 11 2012 07:56am
Grado SR125i
Aug 11 2012 11:18am
Sorry but I'd think I'm probably leaning more towards Sennheisers. Anybody got experience with HD 598/600/650/etc. reviews?
Gold: 0.00
Aug 11 2012 05:57pm
I have Sennheiser HD 280s but they are nowhere on par compared to the 600s ect.

the 280s definetly lack low end and I think they would also use a little better high end definition.

But for $100 these things are really nice, they NEVER hurt my ears and they seal out alot of sound while still staying stable on my head. I got them for Audio mixing and tracking when I record my music.

I just got some KRK KNS-8400s though and they work better for mixing. Sennheisers are better for tracking though, they seal out more sound.
Aug 11 2012 06:18pm
Hmm I guess it's too much to ask for close-back version of the HD series open cans lol.

I saw the HD 280s, but I'm thinking if I were to go with the Sennheiser HDs I'd probably select 380 pro instead though.

With that said, I've done some additional research and it dawned upon me that Senns are great, but their expertise and excellence doesn't really shine with close-back cans, unfortunately. (I mean, I'd LOVE to get a pair of close-back HD 598s)

I'm also looking up on other brands, such as AKG, ATH, Denon, Shure, Ultrasones, Beyers, etc. Anyone can hit me up on a few suggestions?
Gold: 0.00
Aug 12 2012 01:48pm
Quote (Nearei @ Aug 11 2012 08:18pm)
Hmm I guess it's too much to ask for close-back version of the HD series open cans lol.

I saw the HD 280s, but I'm thinking if I were to go with the Sennheiser HDs I'd probably select 380 pro instead though.

With that said, I've done some additional research and it dawned upon me that Senns are great, but their expertise and excellence doesn't really shine with close-back cans, unfortunately. (I mean, I'd LOVE to get a pair of close-back HD 598s)

I'm also looking up on other brands, such as AKG, ATH, Denon, Shure, Ultrasones, Beyers, etc. Anyone can hit me up on a few suggestions?

I don't have experience with those companies, sorry.

I've heard real good things about Shure, Sennheiser, and Audio Technica in the recording world though.

And yeah if I were you I wouldn't buy anything under $200 if your looking for all around good headphones.

This post was edited by Rushton on Aug 12 2012 01:49pm
Gold: 12.00
Aug 12 2012 05:24pm
Quote (Nearei @ Aug 11 2012 07:18pm)

Closed backs will increase bass response. Did you want increased bass response or clear, accurate reproduction?
Gold: 60.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 12 2012 05:40pm
Don't get beats. They suck. They're overpriced. I got them as a gift, and I don't like it for the price at all.

Clear/Quality (original?) Sound: 7
Isolation: 8
Comfortableness: 6
Durability: 6
Bass: 8
Design/Looks: 10
Being able to travel around with it on my head all day: 3

I personally can't keep the beats on for more than 30 minutes because my ears are soaked in sweat. The sound leaks from the headphones, even when the volume isnt set to high. They're made for hip hop, so they emphasis bass ( or so i read ) I hardly ever use them because the burden of constantly using batteries is a real downer. I feel like these headphones are pretty fragile, but i've never dropped them.

They look good. They've got the name, which is why they're "popular" but they are overpriced. They're basically the Apple of computers, and Harley Davidson of motorcycles. Although the performance is decent to good, the price is overwhelming for what you're getting.

Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll