d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > New To Drumming > Some Help Guys
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 4 2012 12:52pm
alright so this is the drum set i have bought

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Sound-Check-5-piece-Drum-Set-with-Zildjian-Cymbals-584082-i1484011.gc

i have no experience with drums whats so ever, i just went to guitar center and they recommended this to me as a first timer
please criticize as much as possible but dont make me QQ
so that in the future i know what to do an what to get for drums

and also i need a double pedal, but i dont know of any brands or tried it at all

if someone can give me a good pedal for my $ then that would be great

thanks

This post was edited by inner_power on Aug 4 2012 12:54pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 60%
Aug 5 2012 12:31am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 1,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Aug 5 2012 06:22am
I would suggest you the Iron Cobra double pedal (brand : Tama).
Gold: 1,470.51
Aug 5 2012 11:15pm
Go to youtube and check out a channel called freedrumlessons. They have tons of video's from beginners to advanced drummers. it provides a huge arrangement of things to help drummers out. However, don't go off buying things that you won't know what to do with. Stick with a single pedal for a year or 2, or until you learn a heal/toe technique or learning how pull out some good twitching with the foot. Remember, more doesn't necessarily mean better. Stick with what you have, But it's good to know you went with pearl, they are a really good company. When i got my very first kit i had a double chained single pedal from pearl, and it was amazing. i learned how to pull off consistent triplets with 1 foot with that pedal.
Gold: 60.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 6 2012 11:24am
go on craigslist and look up a pedal. got mine for 20$
Gold: 1,000.00
Aug 10 2012 04:00pm
Unfortunately music stores usually don't have the most informed salesmen. They only know what's in their store and they'll feed you a lot of bull to get you to buy from them (they have to eat too I guess).

- That pearl kit is most likely made from Ash wood (really soft wood - hard to tune and poor durability) since they don't specify in the description.

The most common types of wood that is maple and birch.

- If guitar center tried to charge you the same price that is in that link, unfortunately you got overcharged a good bit.

There is a set that I know of (made by Gretsch) that is about the same price, but is made of birch and the hardware is much better. I think it sounds great for a lot of different styles (and so do a lot of guys I've talked to) and it's a kit you can hold on to for
a very long time.
Here's a link if you want to take a good look at it. http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/gretsch-catalina-club-jazz-drum-set/drum-sets

- When I comes to pedals, I would have to agree Ions. Start with a single and build technique.

Honestly the type of pedal does not matter once you get to certain point in your playing. There's a DnB drummer named Jojo Mayer that can pull off stuff with one foot that a lot of hair band drummers do with two.

Hope this has helped even though it is a bit long winded and scatterbrained (Sorry ADD). If you have any questions for me, I'd be glad to answer them (hopefully more concisely than this post).

N.B. When you decided to buy again there are a few good websites I like to stick to.

General Percussion - Steveweissmusic.com - you can get the works here - Sticks/Mallets, Sheet Music & Method Books, and Hardware. They have cymbals, but I get them from another website with better prices (got a $500 + cymbal for $384 and it sounds great - I've been complimented that it's the best ride they're ever heard).

Cymbals - Cymbalsonly.com - they give you sound bytes of the cymbals before you buy which has been really helpful.

Gold: 0.00
Aug 11 2012 03:22pm
awesome, thanks for the info guys

guess ill just have to stick with these drums for now
but is it really that all bad? they seem fine to me 0.o
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll