d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Fl Studio?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,380.00
Aug 3 2012 11:30am
So I've narrowed down my list of potential software for audio recording, mixing, and editing.
Tried the FL Studio demo and liked it.
Any thoughts on this piece of software?

Other considerations:
Ableton Live (have the lite version when I got my modeling amp and it's meh)
Audacity (don't like this graphic interface)
Gold: 83.21
Aug 5 2012 04:12am
I just compose/produce with it but FL is a great DAW that will last you for a looong time. A lot of people will tell you it's just for beginners and you should move onto other programs like Logic when you get better, but that is hardly the case. It's whatever you feel comfortable with. Plenty of good producers use FL.

On the other hand, I've heard Cubase is good for recording/producing purposes. I used it in my Music tech class and even though I didn't really enjoying composing on it at all due to a poor piano roll interface the recording was decent.
Gold: 50.00
Aug 5 2012 06:47am
FL studio is beast bro use it to produce and cubase to record IMO its better but check out my beat i made in FL

once you play around with FL you can do awesome shit dude just takes time
i would want to learn 2 new programs to produce beats but i dont want to take the time to learn it <_<

This post was edited by MoBBHouse on Aug 5 2012 06:48am
Aug 5 2012 12:57pm
Quote (SpawnKill @ Aug 5 2012 05:12am)
I just compose/produce with it but FL is a great DAW that will last you for a looong time. A lot of people will tell you it's just for beginners and you should move onto other programs like Logic when you get better, but that is hardly the case. It's whatever you feel comfortable with. Plenty of good producers use FL.

On the other hand, I've heard Cubase is good for recording/producing purposes. I used it in my Music tech class and even though I didn't really enjoying composing on it at all due to a poor piano roll interface the recording was decent.

Thanks for the input :thumbsup:
Logic is not within my budget though :(

Quote (MoBBHouse @ Aug 5 2012 07:47am)
FL studio is beast bro use it to produce and cubase to record IMO its better but check out my beat i made in FL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-WkyXYNCA

i would want to learn 2 new programs to produce beats but i dont want to take the time to learn it  <_<

I'm not looking to "make beast beats". I don't listen to rap or any other genre that consists of looping the same drum loops and synth melodies for an entire song. I'm looking for something that's compatible for mixing multiple recorded tracks from multiple instruments and vocals either simultaneously or otherwise. It needs to have a good piano roll interface and FL studio seems to have just that.
Gold: 22,202.22
Aug 5 2012 08:55pm
Quote (rko_evolution @ Aug 5 2012 01:57pm)
Thanks for the input  :thumbsup:
Logic is not within my budget though :(

I'm not looking to "make beast beats". I don't listen to rap or any other genre that consists of looping the same drum loops and synth melodies for an entire song.  I'm looking for something that's compatible for mixing multiple recorded tracks from multiple instruments and vocals either simultaneously or otherwise. It needs to have a good piano roll interface and FL studio seems to have just that.

dont get caught in the loop.

meaning, some people think that fl studio is just for looping things. its not. it certainly works great for that, but it can also do a lot more. ive found the piano roll interface to be quite usable, although i dont have much to compare it to. you can use it either to program short loops that will be repeated continuously, or you can compose long sections that might even last the whole song, never repeating. mixing is also fairly intuitive and seems to work well.
Aug 6 2012 07:38am
Quote (ReturnFormer @ Aug 5 2012 09:55pm)
dont get caught in the loop.

meaning, some people think that fl studio is just for looping things.  its not.  it certainly works great for that, but it can also do a lot more.  ive found the piano roll interface to be quite usable, although i dont have much to compare it to.  you can use it either to program short loops that will be repeated continuously, or you can compose long sections that might even last the whole song, never repeating.  mixing is also fairly intuitive and seems to work well.

Yeah, I realized that. Thanks for your input. I'm just hating on FL Studio loops because of volume of "songs" like MOBB's on the internet.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 6 2012 10:12am
I don't have any experience with FL Studio but I've used Cubase for years and I love it.

I've also used Ableton and I think it sucks. I've tried audacity and I think it's cheap and cheesy with terrible interface.

I don't really understand why people tell you to record in one program and produce in another.. That.. just doesn't make sense lol
Cubase has some really good plug-ins and midi sounds (especially in Cubase 6.5).

I don't use the Cubase plug-ins because I purchased much nicer ones but I used to and I was able to make a pretty decent sound with them.

I've also heard some really good things aobut Studio One by Presonus. I hear they have a really good VERY low delay and lagless recording interface.
I've also seen people work with ProTools and I never was a fan. Cubase 6.5 is the name of the game for me.
You can check out my songs all mixed, editted using Cubase. The production effect are all in the Waves Mercury bundle which is a FANTASTIC plugin bundle and they sound incredible. I got an extremely good deal on the bundle.

This post was edited by Rushton on Aug 6 2012 10:14am
Gold: 50.00
Aug 6 2012 07:14pm
Quote (rko_evolution @ Aug 6 2012 08:38am)
Yeah, I realized that. Thanks for your input. I'm just hating on FL Studio loops because of volume of "songs" like MOBB's on the internet.

So your hating on FL because people use it to make music you don't like?

It makes no sense butt maybe I misunderstood what your point was

Quote (MoBBHouse @ Aug 5 2012 07:47am)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-WkyXYNCA

i would want to learn 2 new programs to produce beats but i dont want to take the time to learn it  <_<

And no where did I say to make "beast beats" I said use it to produce which it can and it can make the music you like

This post was edited by MoBBHouse on Aug 6 2012 07:24pm
Aug 6 2012 08:59pm
Quote (MoBBHouse @ Aug 6 2012 08:14pm)
So your hating on FL because people use it to make music you don't like?

It makes no sense butt maybe I misunderstood what your point was

And no where did I say to make "beast beats" I said use it to produce which it can and it can make the music you like

I'm not hating on FL, I'm hating on the crap out today that people call music.

Quote (Rushton @ Aug 6 2012 11:12am)
I don't have any experience with FL Studio but I've used Cubase for years and I love it.

I've also used Ableton and I think it sucks. I've tried audacity and I think it's cheap and cheesy with terrible interface.

I don't really understand why people tell you to record in one program and produce in another.. That.. just doesn't make sense lol
Cubase has some really good plug-ins and midi sounds (especially in Cubase 6.5).

I don't use the Cubase plug-ins because I purchased much nicer ones but I used to and I was able to make a pretty decent sound with them.

I've also heard some really good things aobut Studio One by Presonus. I hear they have a really good VERY low delay and lagless recording interface.
I've also seen people work with ProTools and I never was a fan. Cubase 6.5 is the name of the game for me.
You can check out my songs all mixed, editted using Cubase. The production effect are all in the Waves Mercury bundle which is a FANTASTIC plugin bundle and they sound incredible. I got an extremely good deal on the bundle.

Problem is, that's 500$ :/
Nice songs though :thumbsup: , cool vocals

I got FL Studio. Gonna play around with it a bit and try to learn it.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 7 2012 02:55pm
Quote (rko_evolution @ Aug 6 2012 10:59pm)
I'm not hating on FL, I'm hating on the crap out today that people call music.

Problem is, that's 500$ :/
Nice songs though :thumbsup: , cool vocals

I got FL Studio. Gonna play around with it a bit and try to learn it.

You can get stripped down version for cheaper. I got mine for $400 cuz I was upgrading from Cubase LE 4. But good luck man ;)
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll