d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Purchased A Bass - Learning > Fender Squire P-bass
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,739.67
Warn: 20%
Jul 12 2012 08:53pm

**NOT THE EXACT GUITAR I PURCHASED THIS IS NOT MY PHOTO**

I purchsed a Fender squire p-bass lightly used..

Also a dencent sized Fender amp..

I am extremely interested in learning how to play bass guitar.. i have been interested since 4th grade, now graduated..

Any tips or anything that is a MUST to know?

let me know if i made the right desicion !

thanks guys.. hope you enjoy this post..

-Elliott
Gold: 4,768.80
Jul 13 2012 02:20am
Well, my mate is a bassist and his view on it has always been "Learn with your fingers, not with a pick. Make fingerpicking your priority for playing bass rather than learning with a plectrum."

My advice would be check out some Iron Maiden or AC/DC for simple and effective bass riffs. Deep Purple - Highway Star is a phreakin badass song on bass :D

btw - www.ultimate-guitar.com has bass tabs and lessons and articles on basses, check it out.

This post was edited by bob(Cs2) on Jul 13 2012 02:21am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 1,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 13 2012 05:37pm
It depends which kind of music you want to play.
I would also suggest you to learn finger picking instead of using a pick, but it's all about what you are playing.

Muting with your fingers is a much better and accurate technique when you play fast, so if you can work this out when you start to learn bass, it will help you at the end ;)

Also, there is no bad or good decision for a first bass. It's all about if you have time to learn and practice.
After 6 months / 1 year, you will understand why you need a better bass, but for now it doesn't matter.

Read books about some bass techniques, watch videos, etc.
It would be much better if you can get you a teacher that will show you all the basics, but if not, that will do it.

This post was edited by Kafir on Jul 13 2012 05:37pm
Gold: 0.88
Jul 17 2012 02:33am
use fingers, dont use pick

learn the scales
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll