d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Need Help Picking An Upgraded Electric Guitar
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 149.00
Jun 29 2012 08:35pm
Heya guys. I'm looking to get a new electric guitar. I'm not really looking for the top of the top but something decent. This is my current guitar. It's a crappy beginner guitar I got from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-IJX20BKN-Electric-Guitar-Package/dp/B001JI1EY8/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1341020944&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=ibanez

I'm looking to spend around maybe 400-600. Maybe a little bit more for a decent guitar. I really like the looks of a guitar with the tunners all on top. I know that shouldn't be the reason why you get one but that's something I would like. I do like to play a lot of rock songs like skillet, linkin park, sum 41, ect ect. Thanks.
Gold: 9,467.00
Jun 29 2012 09:29pm
The best advice I can give you is to walk into your local guitar store and sit down with some instruments. Both in, and above your price range.
Basically, find out what you like about guitars. Every guitar feels and sounds different, even when they're the same make and model.
Also, everyone have different tastes. There is no right or wrong when it comes to choosing an instrument. The price of an instrument does not necessarily equal quality.
Plug into an amp that is similar to yours, or bring your own amp into the shop. Have a jam for a good 10-15 minutes and see wether or not it feels right in your hands.

I get the feeling you're rather new to guitar playing from your post.
In my opinion it would be a mistake to order a guitar online if you're a beginner. Atleast without playing an identical guitar beforehand

Good luck!
Gold: 4,768.80
Jun 30 2012 02:16am
*sigh* I hate being in this position, but here's my suggestion for you.

Epiphone will basically tick all your boxes apart from downtuning.

Reasonably priced, well made, worth the money. The alternatives list is.... extensive, but have a look at IBANEZ, SCHECTER, JACKSON, FENDER.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 1,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Jun 30 2012 07:58pm
In your price range, i would suggest you to check Ibanez RG series.
I've owned 2x of these at one point, really worth it.
Gold: 16,380.00
Jul 1 2012 03:05pm
fender mexistrats go for around $400-500 if i remember correctly. its an extremely versatile guitar with clean and grungy settings. its not as good as epiphone/gibson/ibanez for higher gain but i'd go to your local store and test the waters.

also, keep in mind that amps are equally, if not more, expensive. it's more important to have a good amp than a good guitar. i've had more than decent tones with a blues jr amp and my buddys shitty squire guitar

This post was edited by rko_evolution on Jul 1 2012 03:12pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll