d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Working On Recording/mixing/mastering
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 36.00
May 3 2012 10:27pm
I suck ass but here is the first song of a demo I am doing for one of my bands (I do guitar/bass and help write drums as well)

http://soundcloud.com/letsforgetyesterday/save-your-life-demo
Gold: 0.00
May 9 2012 10:40am
Can't find the page.

I'm a learning audio engineer and I've learned a good amount through my 4 years of practice and reading.

So message me if you want.

This post was edited by Rushton on May 9 2012 10:40am
May 29 2012 04:47pm
Quote (Rushton @ May 9 2012 09:40am)
Can't find the page.

I'm a learning audio engineer and I've learned a good amount through my 4 years of practice and reading.

So message me if you want.

woops, here it is

http://soundcloud.com/letsforgetyesterday/save-your-life

for realz lol

I played guitar/bass and worked on a good portion of the drums as well, I also am the one who recorded and mixed it, but am still in the process of learning to properly bring out the best in a mix.
May 30 2012 08:18am
Quote (Automatica @ May 29 2012 06:47pm)
woops, here it is

http://soundcloud.com/letsforgetyesterday/save-your-life

for realz lol

I played guitar/bass and worked on a good portion of the drums as well, I also am the one who recorded and mixed it, but am still in the process of learning to properly bring out the best in a mix.

A really good tip that I got for rock/metal style music that is like that. During chorus and louder parts in the song, make the vocals just loud enough to hear what your saying and it will make the mix ALOT more exciting.
When it sounds like the vocals are trying to push through this heavy guitar and pounding drums it just has this magical effect on the mix.

But it sounded really good from what I heard. Alot better than most people I hear on here, and I'm not even into metal lol

Some lyrics things I noticed that didn't really sound professional though. Like "I wanna take off your clothes". It just sounds uncreative and sounds like the first thing that popped into the writers mind. Also sonds like a 16 year old wrote it lol
I'm sure there is a better line you could use instead of those type of comments.
Gold: 12.00
May 30 2012 04:53pm
I'm not on the best monitors here but during the break downs I would add some verb to the drums. Kick especially. Needs some life/sustain as opposed to the quick little "Pid Pid Pid" sounds. The drums also sound quantized but the guitars and bass sound live so in that section it's a little loose. That can work but you might be loosing the effect your looking for. I would make sure the guitar and bass shots are bang on with the drums.

Cool tune. Not my cup of tea, but I think it's great for that vein of music.
May 30 2012 05:43pm
Quote (Superchum @ May 30 2012 03:53pm)
I'm not on the best monitors here but during the break downs I would add some verb to the drums. Kick especially. Needs some life/sustain as opposed to the quick little "Pid Pid Pid" sounds. The drums also sound quantized but the guitars and bass sound live so in that section it's a little loose. That can work but you might be loosing the effect your looking for. I would make sure the guitar and bass shots are bang on with the drums.

Cool tune. Not my cup of tea, but I think it's great for that vein of music.

The drums were triggered using Superior Drummer 2.0 which I actually don't like all that much and yeah the singer did the drums for that part and he kind of sucks at programming drums, pretty much I did all the good parts lol, and I actually just bought Steven Slate Drums 4 and the samples and kit builder on that program are amazing, sound extremely real and need only minor compression and tweaking for a polished sound so a new version will get done eventually when I have the time.
May 31 2012 09:28am
Quote (Automatica @ May 30 2012 07:43pm)
The drums were triggered using Superior Drummer 2.0 which I actually don't like all that much and yeah the singer did the drums for that part and he kind of sucks at programming drums, pretty much I did all the good parts lol, and I actually just bought Steven Slate Drums 4 and the samples and kit builder on that program are amazing, sound extremely real and need only minor compression and tweaking for a polished sound so a new version will get done eventually when I have the time.

Oh dang nice, I've heard some really good things about Steven Slate Drums.

I'm just using EZDrummer :P

But I got the entire Waves Mercury bundle so it makes things sound pretty freaking amazing.

This post was edited by Rushton on May 31 2012 09:30am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll