d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Dabbling With The Drums
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 24 2012 07:55pm
any suggestions on how to get better with rhythm/technique? any good habits i should develop/bad ones to avoid?

i have classical music experience, so doing anything other than playing a single line while keeping the beat with my foot goes against what's been ingrained in my body. right now i can keep a basic beat with the high hat/snare. if things get a more complex i might have a little spasm but when i try to add in the bass drum i go completely autistic
Gold: 0.83
Apr 25 2012 11:33am
repetition repetition repetition.

find a good method book

make drummer friends and watch what they do

you tube

if all the above fail you, find a teacher
Gold: 23.00
Apr 27 2012 11:34am
Personally, if you're just looking to learn by yourself, start off slow. Maybe with just bass drum and high hat then add in the snare. Once you get your basics done slowly, you can start to speed up.
Gold: 273.00
May 1 2012 11:46am
Practice, practice and practice. That's all Drums is, millions of hours of practice.

Rudiments are key to developing different patterns and can be played on a Pillow while you watch TV (seriously). You can also incorporate different limbs while using rudiments around the kit (instead of L and R hands, maybe R hand and L leg, or vise versa).

I'd get a practice pad (or a pillow works if you don't wanna invest $10-20) and download an app for a Metronome.

Every time you practice you should listen to a Metronome, although it's not necessary, it will help you down the road with timing.

Seriously though, all it is is practice. Sit on the kit and try different things, watch YouTube videos to teach yourself various things, go to your local drum store and find out when someones having a clinic so you can go and learn in person (or as said above, make friends with someone already playing drums! My best friend was actually the one who got me into drums, over the years just watching him and listening to him play has helped me TONS).

Just remember, drums are NOT mastered over night. Don't become discouraged because you can't play like the greats, you'll get the hang of it eventually.
Gold: 44.25
May 1 2012 04:38pm
Try to be able to do everything with your feet that you can with your hands.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 6 2012 07:13pm
what would you guys recommend for grip? i've checked out a few videos and i'm not really sure of how i should be holding the sticks, and i haven't developed a preferred grip yet

also if you have any comments regarding technique about anything, i'd be glad to hear them. i think that's really my biggest concern right now

and if i have the opportunity, should i pick up a double bass pedal? or should i be focusing on other things/is that something i can comfortably pick up down the road

This post was edited by Reverence on Jun 6 2012 07:18pm
Gold: 279.15
Jun 13 2012 09:52pm
Quote (Reverence @ Jun 6 2012 08:13pm)
what would you guys recommend for grip?  i've checked out a few videos and i'm not really sure of how i should be holding the sticks, and i haven't developed a preferred grip yet

also if you have any comments regarding technique about anything, i'd be glad to hear them.  i think that's really my biggest concern right now

and if i have the opportunity, should i pick up a double bass pedal?  or should i be focusing on other things/is that something i can comfortably pick up down the road

get/learn proper technique early so you dont learn any bad habits.
try all the grips and use the one that makes you most confortable. Also look at your favorite drummers and see what they use.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll