d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Best Way To Learn How To Sing? > Opinions?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,290.00
Apr 23 2012 05:36am
i can pitch quite well but I'm more talking about the tone of your voice etc i don't want to go to a singer teacher cuz id rather teach myself .
Gold: 12.00
Apr 23 2012 06:12am
Best way to learn, go get a teacher :(

Your natural ability can only take you so far. Voice has been taught for many a centuries and that knowledge has been passed down from generation to generation to finally someone in your neighborhood. Go learn how to use your diaphragm, breathe and read. You can find some of these things on the interweb but none of these things on web pages or chat forums can give you constructive criticism or prescribe the right exercises for you.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 23 2012 07:56am
Yep best and fastest way is go get a vocal coach. But if you wanna teach yourself you can look up videos on youtube and what not.
Gold: 0.37
Apr 23 2012 04:18pm
majority of people have natural talent.

my opinion is if you dont have any natural talent try learning some other instrument unless your set on vocals
Apr 23 2012 07:27pm
Quote (bradp89 @ Apr 23 2012 10:18pm)
majority of people have natural talent.

my opinion is if you dont have any natural talent try learning some other instrument unless your set on vocals

sadly, this is it.
Apr 24 2012 08:26am
i think most people are talented enough to do it... I honestly think its more enthusiasm than anything, certain people just like to sing, and they always stand out cause so few people really do it well...

ive woken up every morning for past 2 weeks, put tuner on my lips, and i can hit an A, perfectly, its scary how well i remember the tone, its just like the natural note that comes out my mouth when i hum, I can sing major/minor scale solfege very well also, and can sing any interval going up, and most of them going down. and yet i have trouble even tabbing out simple melodies - and singing, just forget about it :/

if you can sing do re me etc etc, you have already proven you can hit the correct notes, the rest is stuff like practicing singing harmony, breathing, things that can be taught. There is defiently no substitute for enthusiasm/practice when it comes to things like this though Oo
Apr 26 2012 10:35pm
Cover music until you're able to create something of your own
I personally have a terrible voice, but I can do backup vocals just because I've been singing my favorite songs for about an hour each day.

Maybe get a good mic and record yourself singing. Pick a song, find a program that can take the voice out of a song, and put your own back into it.
Do this often, and you'll eventually start to get good at it.
Once you're good at it, work on your own stuff with a band.
Gold: 0.69
Apr 27 2012 11:59am
Quote (blunderwonder2 @ Apr 24 2012 09:26am)

ive woken up every morning for past 2 weeks, put tuner on my lips, and i can hit an A, perfectly, its scary how well i remember the tone, its just like the natural note that comes out my mouth when i hum, 

See, I can do the same for E. I can belt out an E every time, but I play guitar. I can hum out a perfect E, A ,D, G , and B for tuning, but I'm a terrible singer. I've got the key right, but my breathing is way off. I find myself winded, and unable to pass off farther than an octave or two without loosing pitch.

As a musician of ten years, I can say without a shadow of a doubt. You've either got the pipes to sing, or you don't. Period. Training can help you utilize the keys, and octave (s) in your range accurately, but I've got an inability to raise my voice high enough the be legible half the time. I'm born in a family where absolutely everyone can sing in my extended family, but my father couldn't and nor can I. In fact, "I couldn't carry a note if it was strapped to my back" is more accurate.

Superchum has it down best though;

Quote (Superchum @ Apr 23 2012 07:12am)
Best way to learn, go get a teacher :(

Your natural ability can only take you so far. Voice has been taught for many a centuries and that knowledge has been passed down from generation to generation to finally someone in your neighborhood. Go learn how to use your diaphragm, breathe and read. You can find some of these things on the interweb but none of these things on web pages or chat forums can give you constructive criticism or prescribe the right exercises for you.

In the end though, your personal vocal range is set in stone after puberty.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll