d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Edm Producers Out There?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 7 2012 02:59pm
Hey Im looking to make electronic music just as a hobby and something fun to do in my down time.
Im curious, what sort of equipment will I need to make basic electronic music? Does equipment very based on style (i.e. house vs. dubstep, hip-hop vs. trance, etc etc)

If anyone could help me out with a list of programs, equipment, or whatever other basics Ill need to start messing around with, I'd really appreciate it.
Apr 7 2012 08:02pm
it's personal preference, really

you could just use a DAW and make everything...You'll probably want studio monitors, some sort of MIDI control unit (I'd recommend an MPD32, but again it's personal preference), maybe a keyboard, mics...a pocket recorder is always handy for sampling things like lighters flicking, twigs snapping, keys jangling...all good bases for making drum sounds

really you don't need anything. the hardware just makes it easier

This post was edited by Derkaderk on Apr 7 2012 08:02pm
Apr 7 2012 10:33pm
Hardware is expensive, so if you wanna rock it as a hobby, you can use programs like FL, Reason, ProTools, Sonar, and even stuff like Garage band.
Software is all about VST plugins and knowing what you're doing. A lot of trial and error, a lot of youtube tutorial videos.
Apr 9 2012 07:26am
all ya need is an audio interface, Midi keyboard, and software. for stuff like dub step I'd recommend Ableton Live or FL Studio.

If you want decent sounding electronic sounds I recommend checking out electronic syth packs from Native intruments

List of company sites that make and sell these products.

For audio interface and Midi Keyboard
http://www.m-audio.com/

For electronic synth sounds and a DAW program.
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/

This post was edited by Rushton on Apr 9 2012 07:28am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll