d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Thinking Of Buying An Electronic Drum Set > Looking For Tips And Advice.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 6 2012 08:37am
I want to try this out, I saw that the ALESIS dm6 is going at a price of $399 and i was thinking of buying it.
besides not having room in my house, i was wondering in general, how are electronic drum sets when compared to the real thing?

I've never played drums before, so im a complete an utter noob when it comes to percussion. Should I take lessons first to see if I like it?
Apr 7 2012 11:06pm
No drummers? I just bought a pair of sticks when i went to the store and have been beating on random stuff while I have a metronome on.
Gold: 12.00
Apr 8 2012 07:19am
Quote (Floppyduck @ Apr 6 2012 09:37am)
I want to try this out, I saw that the ALESIS dm6 is going at a price of $399 and i was thinking of buying it.
besides not having room in my house, i was wondering in general, how are electronic drum sets when compared to the real thing?

I've never played drums before, so im a complete an utter noob when it comes to percussion. Should I take lessons first to see if I like it?

Electronic drums are sample pads sprawled out in the configuration of a drum set. They are not instruments. On an electronic drum kit you can learn rhythms, rudiments, co-ordination, timing, pretty much anything you can learn on an acoustic drum kit except tone. There is no way to extract tone or sound out of an electronic drum kit. The sounds are predetermined by the sound module or drum brain. There are pros and cons to both the acoustic and electronic drum kit. The electronic kit is cost efficient, small, quiet and fun.

I would recommend the Yamaha DTX500 for electronic drum kits to start. The Alesis has half decent sounds in fact, maybe even as good as the Yamaha but the difference is in the hardware. The cage, the mounting clamps and pads. These things on the Alesis are shite! These are the things that will be beaten with your sticks and because of their poor build quality will most likely break or not function properly. This can be a deterrent to your playing and might turn you off of playing drums.

I also firmly believe if it's something you truly want to get into, anything will do. The cheap kit, no kit, pillows, pots n' pans but if this is something you're going to spend money on, I'd invest the money on something nice. Think of it as investing the money into your self, not the drum kit.
Apr 10 2012 09:09am
I just bought a Pearl Single bass pedal for 20$ off craigslist so between that and the drumsticks, im practicing. CSB
Gold: 0.83
Apr 11 2012 11:07pm
Tips: every person I know who has bought one has regretted it. But it depends on the kind of music youre in to. If youre into the kind of music behind Britney spear's voice, then buy one.
Advice: Dont buy one.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll