d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Acoustic Guitar > I Need Help!
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,286.58
Mar 21 2012 05:49pm
Yes this is a cheap guitar, I know. The reason for me going this low is because I dont want to spend a decent amount of money on a guitar and then end up not liking it.

This is what I decided on: Rogue RA-090 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rogue-ra-090-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

Let me know if you guys know anything better for around the same price!
Gold: 4,768.80
Mar 22 2012 03:16am
You MUST restring it straight away - it will come with shitty strings on it, and will play shitty because of it.

BTW - Make sure you've actually held a Dreadnought first - they are really quite big when sitting down with them - so make sure you are comfy with the right arm stretch you will have to do.
Gold: 12,286.58
Mar 22 2012 06:27am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Mar 22 2012 03:16am)
You MUST restring it straight away - it will come with shitty strings on it, and will play shitty because of it.

BTW - Make sure you've actually held a Dreadnought first - they are really quite big when sitting down with them - so make sure you are comfy with the right arm stretch you will have to do.

I have indeed used a Dreadnought before and thats the only type I have actually tried.
Gold: 4,768.80
Mar 22 2012 06:48am
Quote (xXDreamAlongXx @ 22 Mar 2012 12:27)
I have indeed used a Dreadnought before and thats the only type I have actually tried.

Well if you like it and it's comfy, then fine go for it! But there are smaller bodies with excellent sounds out there too. If you are searching on a Budget - check out Encore Acoustics. I still have mine - and I love it.
Gold: 13.37
Mar 22 2012 07:54am
Also prepare to do some little work on it. Im pretty sure that you need to file the ends of the frets on quitar that cheap, action and thruss rod is most likely fucked up etc. But those arent big things to do. Just use a small file or sand paper for metal to carefully round the sharp edges of the frets, and if you dont understand what i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3byTfjt8XM . You dont need to go all hifi with the files or stuff, the main thing is to file the edges of the frets and not to file the fretboard.

And here is the rest you need to know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x65OBpNO5LM

This post was edited by Antichrist- on Mar 22 2012 07:54am
Gold: 0.00
Mar 25 2012 10:20am
i have and still have/play my cheap guitar, when i have time i will dig up the link that outlines how to set them up, you need to spend like 15$ to buy all the stuff, and its really safer to let a professional do it, but if you're using regular type medium strings, and you have a ruler, and your action at the 12th fret is like 3 inches, and like 1/2 inch at the first fret - its going to need work. aside form jingle bells and things like that it really needs to be fixed or youll just be beating urselfup for no reason
Gold: 12.00
Mar 25 2012 07:51pm
It is in my experience, those who try to pick up an instrument but start with a toy get discouraged. This Rouge guitar looks like (and I'll guarantee you it is) a piece of shit. If you start with an instrument it does two things. 1.) Resale value is much higher on a decent instrument vs a shitty one. 2.) It gives the learner a chance to learn on something that will perform. Not something you're constantly fidgeting with or fighting with. I would suggest this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fg730s-solid-top-acoustic-guitar/519049007010039?condition=used#used

This guitar is an intermediate level acoustic, priced below most beginner guitar models. You might spend $140 on it but if you chose not to pursue guitar, you'll be able to resell it at what you paid. That other guitar you'll give it away to someone else who will later quit. I'd say It's $50 down the tube. You'll also enjoy playing it.

My two cents.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 25 2012 07:59pm
Quote (Superchum @ Mar 25 2012 09:51pm)
It is in my experience, those who try to pick up an instrument but start with a toy get discouraged. This Rouge guitar looks like (and I'll guarantee you it is) a piece of shit. If you start with an instrument it does two things. 1.) Resale value is much higher on a decent instrument vs a shitty one. 2.) It gives the learner a chance to learn on something that will perform. Not something you're constantly fidgeting with or fighting with. I would suggest this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fg730s-solid-top-acoustic-guitar/519049007010039?condition=used#used

This guitar is an intermediate level acoustic, priced below most beginner guitar models. You might spend $140 on it but if you chose not to pursue guitar, you'll be able to resell it at what you paid. That other guitar you'll give it away to someone else who will later quit. I'd say It's $50 down the tube. You'll also enjoy playing it.

My two cents.

reading this makes me want to buy a new guitar :/

i have a yamaha fd01, i went to google typed in used yamaha fd01 and you can buy one for 49.99 with free shipping :/

maybe next christmas :/
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll