d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Learning To Read Sheet Music?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 17 2012 11:22am
Can somebody tell me a good location where I could find out how to read sheet music, like a FREE website?

In the meantime I'm looking for it myself. Thanks to any contributions! :)
Mar 17 2012 03:20pm
im not sure what question you're trying to ask. But for the treble clef its 5 lines

/e in standard tuning on a guitar i will add this:
moving up one fret is a 1/2 step up.

F------------first fret high e string
D-----------3rd fret b string
B------------open b string
G------------open G string
E------------2nd fret D string

from bottom to top its "Every good boy does fine"

and in between its "FACE"
------
e
------
c
-------
a
---------
f
-----------

sharps and flats are done through the "key signature", and also through "b" and "#" signs in addition to natural signs which you dont really need to worry about much

as for really learning this type stuff, the best way is to start with songs like ode to joy, jingle bells, etc and slowly move to things like star spangled banner, and then some more dynamic songs.

you will find that doing scales, will REALLY help with this, because often youll see something on the music staff, and it goes like G A Bb C D, and you see the notes, but as you read them its MUCH easier to play than normal, because your so familiar with how to finger that certain scale, than if it was something D->G->Bb->A, and scales going and up and down, partial or not, are very common.

good luck, only way to really get it is to work at it, and most people who play guitar dont even bother learning to read sheet music like this. If your learning guitar you should know that, you dont necessarily have to learn to read/play from sheet music to learn about music theory, they are two seperate things entirely, though it may be VERY helpful if you want to compose music

/e spend a few days at it, and youll have a cursory knowledge of it, i can play lots of easy songs in first position on guitar through sheet music, and i would probably be 10x better on a piano even though i dont play one, the point is for a few days worth of working at it, youll know enough of it to get by, and if you dont plan on "sight singing" and all this sort of piano type stuff, it wont matter too much cause you'll know enough to get by and learn the things that matter more. It is important to learn key signatures, or scales i should say, but learning to play the scale and learning the first/3rd/4th/5th etc, are differnt thigns also, so some knowledge of these thigns is important to any instrument, even if you dont learn to play sheet music very well.

GOOD LUCK :P and to be honestly your best off going to with some type of beginners course if you're new to an instrument just to get your feet wet, if you're already familiar, then just learn a bit about reading music, and dive into it, but its tough to find sheet music for guitar and even then its very tough to sight read, youll pay more attention to chord signs which you dont need sheet music for anyway

This post was edited by blunderwonder2 on Mar 17 2012 03:27pm
Mar 17 2012 08:20pm
Yes, it's my first instrument! Thanks! I've already started playing material with just tabs, I was just kind of pushing to get better in as many ways as possible i suppose. haha

But thank you so much for the comment! :D
I appreciate it a ton!

This post was edited by GLYC123 on Mar 17 2012 08:20pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll