d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Want To Get Better At Singing? > Best Vocal Lessons.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 14 2011 08:13pm
I've made a new topic for this, because the old one (http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=57337075&f=187) does not allow replies anymore. I wanted to help out those who want to find singing lessons that really work. A lot of people I know really struggled to find a worthy teacher.

Quote (Beowolfknight @ 2 Sep 2011 01:21)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JVJJJQY0A

He is by far my favorite out of all the coaches singing success has

Anyone else have some videos that they think helped you a lot?

Brett's and Jesse's (the guy in the video ^^) videos are the best. Unfortunately, I heard that the latter guy is quitting to focus more on his band.

I think that the videos about commercial singing are very useful. What I like the most about their way of teaching, is that they're open-minded and yes, I've seen coaches from other vocal institutes teaching before who were not.
Singing Success's videos will help you the most if you'd like to expand your vocal range, it's where their emphasis lies. Their method is based on SLS, developed by the coach you'll hear in this video, Seth Riggs, who has taught many successful artists. Brett was also one of his pupils. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DExMNdStZU

In this video, one of MJ's training session recordings, you will hear him gliding effortlessly through different registers, just like some of those Singing Success members have demonstrated in some of their videos.

I would definitely recommend these people to anyone. I know that these Singing Success associates are located in Nashville, but you can also get lessons from a SLS-instructor (they're all over the world). www.speechlevelsinging.com
Gold: 2.88
Dec 16 2011 11:43am
:hello:
Gold: 152.00
Dec 16 2011 01:40pm
I think if you aren't born with a good voice you just won't sing well.

Look at American Idol, they all fucking suck. Carbon copies of each other.

If you ARE born with a good voice, lessons can be somewhat helpful, though not that important.
Dec 16 2011 03:03pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Dec 16 2011 02:40pm)

If you ARE born with a good voice, lessons can be somewhat helpful, though not that important.

Bullshit.

Vocal chords are an instrument, and just like any instruments, practice makes the difference.
Dec 16 2011 04:18pm
Quote (Voyaging @ 16 Dec 2011 21:40)

Typical words from an inexperienced person. Ask all professional singers and you will hear that anyone can learn to sing well. It's just that it isn't enough sometimes to just sing 'well' if you want to be a known singer (all these people who sing 'well' will AT LEAST make it through the first auditions of American Idol, just to give you an idea). You need a distinctive voice, a voice they recognize immediately on the radio to make it to the top. Anyone can have a singing career if their devotion is enough. Even IF your singing isn't that great (hear some famous singers sing live and you know what I mean), you still can make it sound good these days in the studio, then the only thing you will need is good songwriting skills and/or commercial image building.

It isn't about being born with a good voice. It is about being born with good ears*. You learn how to sing through imitating, just like how you learn to talk. Anyone who can talk can learn to sing well. People who fail at the start on American Idol are mostly people who don't know much about music, or let's just say they're stupid (either they're too stupid to know that they're not good enough yet to enter the competition or they're tone-deaf**). If you think singing is JUST about hitting the right notes, you're (SO) wrong. Singing is telling a story, musically, and the most important thing is being able to connect emotionally with the audience. You CAN learn those things. It's the little things that distinguish the greatest from the good. Passion is also something you need. You can have a pleasant sounding, unique voice and you can have good ears*, but if you don't have enough interest in music or singing, you will not learn as quick as a person who is crazy about it and has ears* that have some problems with identifying notes at the beginning. I'm not going into details of course, because that would be wasted on people like you. People who lack interest in singing or the will to improve at it, people who like to talk and discuss about things they know little of and people who discourage others to become better just because they haven't succeeded themselves.

* With good ears, I mean that they have a well-developed auditory cortex (region of the brain that is responsible for the processing of sound information). You can't hear by JUST having ears of course.
** For the dumb / ignorant people: tone-deaf does not mean being deaf.

Quote (Darkshade @ 16 Dec 2011 23:03)
Bullshit.

Vocal chords are an instrument, and just like any instruments, practice makes the difference.

this
Dec 20 2011 10:36am
Quote (Darkshade @ Dec 16 2011 05:03pm)
Bullshit.

my vocal chords were made by yamaha :/
Dec 21 2011 12:43pm
Quote (blunderwonder2 @ 20 Dec 2011 18:36)
my vocal chords were made by yamaha :/

your brain was made by shit
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll