d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Wanting To Pick Up A Ukulele
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,434.75
Nov 3 2011 11:33am
Anyone with experience can point me in the right direction?

About myself:
I have soft hands so uke might be better for me than guitar
I don't have TOO much time to learn all of guitar and uke is smaller
I'm only 5'4'' so uke would fit me better
I like the mobility of having a uke
Currently I would use the uke for a lady friend
Yes I've read some things about the uke/guitar just looking for personal experience info
Gold: 20.00
Nov 3 2011 11:45am
i think, "soft hands," is a pretty poor excuse for avoiding guitar. same with small hands; it's kind of like saying you avoid typing on the keyboard because your hands are softer or smaller. granted the guitar can have some pretty rough beginner pitfalls, it's still a great instrument that comes in many different styles and can be set up based on what you want.

for example, electric guitars tend to be much easier to play. nylon strings give a more classical sound, but also make playing much easier. guitar mobility also shouldn't be a concern, since there are smaller, "scale," guitars, ranging from all sizes and even backpacker guitars.

that said, if you're set on looking for a pretty quality uke, i would either check your local licensed music vendors or online at reputable places such as musiciansfriend.com. craigslist would probably be an okay place to scope a guitar, but generally a poor place to go uke hunting.

any immediate concerns or questions you have that you're looking for answers to?
Gold: 1,434.75
Nov 3 2011 12:10pm
I mainly chose uke over guitar because it's so mobile and I can fit it anywhere

meediate concerns and question, hm, I'd prob say would it be more recommended to go to a local store to be more hands on or can buy online?

I work all the time and will barely have time to go out local unless its needed

also i read theres about 5-6 different types of ukes, which one would be a good beginner one that can be used for a few years

Also, 6 string or 8 string / tenor or soprano

This post was edited by Demi on Nov 3 2011 12:22pm
Gold: 0.00
Nov 3 2011 03:51pm
try it out

for now it seems you have made your decision and thats it.
if you want to play uke than get one.
Gold: 44.25
Nov 3 2011 03:53pm
Quote (Giveuptheghost @ Nov 3 2011 12:45pm)
i think, "soft hands," is a pretty poor excuse for avoiding guitar. same with small hands; it's kind of like saying you avoid typing on the keyboard because your hands are softer or smaller. granted the guitar can have some pretty rough beginner pitfalls, it's still a great instrument that comes in many different styles and can be set up based on what you want.

for example, electric guitars tend to be much easier to play. nylon strings give a more classical sound, but also make playing much easier. guitar mobility also shouldn't be a concern, since there are smaller, "scale," guitars, ranging from all sizes and even backpacker guitars.

that said, if you're set on looking for a pretty quality uke, i would either check your local licensed music vendors or online at reputable places such as musiciansfriend.com. craigslist would probably be an okay place to scope a guitar, but generally a poor place to go uke hunting.

any immediate concerns or questions you have that you're looking for answers to?

Edit: I don't know who that guy is, it's the only bk/small hands pic i could find.

This post was edited by Ghost_Smoke on Nov 3 2011 03:53pm
Gold: 12.00
Nov 3 2011 06:07pm
Lanikai make some decent ukes for cheap. I picked the middle one up this one from akulele.com:

They're not cheap but they sound pro. $300-$400ish.
Gold: 116.00
Nov 4 2011 05:03am
Quote (Demi @ 3 Nov 2011 20:33)

About myself:
Yes I've read some things about the uke/guitar just looking for personal experience info

Your hands won't stay soft long if you get a guitar, it's just something to get used to :)
Gold: 4,618.80
Nov 4 2011 05:08am
Lol - your hieght makes NO difference to playing guitar at all.

See 11 year old/8 year old virtuoso's on Youtube
Gold: 42.32
Nov 4 2011 08:11am
Quote (Demi @ 3 Nov 2011 13:33)

About myself:

Learning guitar and ukulele is the same process (at least for rythms)
Ukulele is really mobile but make sure you buy a sturdy case for it because if you move it a lot, the wood will expand with heat/cold and you will fuck up the bridge.
Using a musical instrument to impress a girl is what makes me want to punch almost every self called "musicians" in their fucking balls. Come on, you'll play the uke for a month, maybe two, and then you will put it aside and let it collect dust. No instruments should be used this way, they should be used to express yourself, go places where you can't go otherwise... But if you buy one and don't do any of the above, and love playing it and realize that's it's way more than just swagg, then at least you will have understood something.

That is why I won't help you find one. I can't bare seeing another music instrument being missused.
Gold: 13.37
Nov 4 2011 08:33am
If you arent going for soprano sized uke, mobility cant be an excuse for getting uke over short scale classical guitar. So soprano uke it is.

I suggest getting aquila gut or nylgut strings for it.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll