d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > I Want To Start Playing Drums
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.00
Nov 1 2011 12:33pm
Hey. I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now, and i mainly play rock - deathmeal. i want to get into drums, but i can't get a real drumkit, only an electric. Any ideas which set i should buy?
Gold: 44.25
Nov 1 2011 03:54pm
Quote (ajklf @ Nov 1 2011 01:33pm)
Hey. I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now, and i mainly play rock - deathmeal. i want to get into drums, but i can't get a real drumkit, only an electric. Any ideas which set i should buy?

Problem with starting on electric kits is they all suck until you get to the higher price ranges, and even then once you start playing you may not like it. So you have this scenario:

A. Buy a really nice electric that's really expensive and hopefully you'll stick with it

B. Buy a shitty electric kit that's cheap but you'll hate yourself every time you play it (bad electric kits have bad triggers and they are not responsive like you'd like; meaning you could hit a pad and there may be lag or no sound at all)

What I would do if I were you is since you're apparently in some kind of sound restricted practice area, I'd get some practice pads and learn on them. At least start to learn on them, so you can get a feel for the instrument and get that feeling of inspiration to want to learn more. Once I were there, I'd consider getting a nice electric kit. This way you have the confidence of knowing you'll stick with it (I'm sure you have the musicianship to stick with it, since you played guitar for around 10 years, but drums are a whole 'nother animal. You may even wind up hating it) and you won't find yourself in a situation where you have to try to sell your now-used electric kit at a reduced price (if you can find a buyer at all).

Here are a few good examples of practice pads:

This one is a multi practice pad that you can attach your own pedal onto:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DRU-CPPADTS5-LIST

This electronic practice pad helps you analyze your tempo, consistency, and also technique:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/beatnik-rhythmic-analyzer

Here's a single practice pad you can carry around in a backpack and not have to worry about it breaking:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/hq-percussion-apprentice-single-sided-practice-pad/443275000000000

Good luck.

This post was edited by Ghost_Smoke on Nov 1 2011 03:59pm
Gold: 186.55
Nov 1 2011 04:59pm
I started learning on a practice snare pad and it helped me master Rudimental skills before going on.

However DONT BUY AN ELECTRIC SET. They are constantly being outdated and like the guy before said they are very pricy if you want to get something that sounds good.
If you can just buy a regular set you should. There are definitely sets out there that are cheap like under $200 that will do the trick for learning. Keep it simple with 2x toms, snare, bass, hihat, ride/crash. the more stuff there is the more of an excuse you have to not learn new skills and just play different sounds.
Nov 1 2011 09:03pm
Quote (ajklf @ Nov 1 2011 01:33pm)
...i can't get a real drumkit, only an electric...

Quote (Cockney @ Nov 1 2011 05:59pm)
...DONT BUY AN ELECTRIC SET...

Don't offer advice if you're not even going to read his post.
Gold: 3.00
Nov 2 2011 01:57am
Thanks, i really appreciate your help. However, my uncle has an electric drum kit, and i tried play on it once, and it was quite good. No lag, or what so ever, and the price for the set was only 900$, so i'm really considering to buy the same.
Nov 2 2011 09:17am
Quote (Ghost_Smoke @ Nov 1 2011 10:03pm)

I read his post. It doesn't change the fact that e-kits are updating too fast and cost too much. Its cheaper to buy a real set and mute the shit out of it than to get a electric set.

Its still good advice not to buy one for all the reasons I mentioned before.
Maybe you should read what I wrote before you think you are so clever as to criticize my last post.

for 900 you could get a real set and alter it so that it would last way longer than an electric set. I only say this because I spent 1800 on a electric set only 2 years ago and it is deemed "obsolete" by anyone in a drum store now. There are just too many advances on the technology to make it a worthwhile investment.
Nov 2 2011 09:19am
Quote (Ghost_Smoke @ Nov 1 2011 10:03pm)

and fuck you honestly. The fact that I spoke out so he doesn't waste money is a nice thing.
You are a dick because i even agreed with what you wrote earlier about practice pads.

maybe you should read better
Gold: 60.01
Nov 2 2011 02:05pm
Quote (Cockney @ 2 Nov 2011 18:17)
It doesn't change the fact that e-kits are updating too fast and cost too much.

Hey umm... you know this thing.. its the umm... its called "working." Meaby you should try it. :)
Nov 2 2011 05:30pm
Quote (Cockney @ Nov 2 2011 10:19am)
and fuck you honestly.  The fact that I spoke out so he doesn't waste money is a nice thing.
You are a dick because i even agreed with what you wrote earlier about practice pads.

maybe you should read better

He said in his post that he cannot have real drums. Only e-drums. The fact that you're telling me that i have a reading problem is making me think either you're a bad troll, or just retarded.
Nov 2 2011 10:21pm
zzz i'm trying to stop him before he spends too much on something that will be outdated soon.

Quote (Rupsu @ Nov 2 2011 03:05pm)
Hey umm... you know this thing.. its the umm... its called "working." Meaby you should try it. :)

yea I know, I have a $1800 set.
Money saving is what sensible people do.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll