d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Iso Guitar Lessons > Offering Fg
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Oct 30 2011 11:27pm
heya guys. im trying to learn guitar, and I have a lot of fgs coming in, so I will pay for lessons if anyone is willing to teach me the basics.

I have 6 years in other instrument experience, so I can read sheet music as well as tabs. (treble and bass cleft) (sorry i havent spelled this stuff in forever if i got it wrong.)

willing to negotiate prices.

also, I'm into metal/metalcore/etc... not extreme death, like anything where its just growls and dark guitar. (im looking at you waking the cadaver.)
I although do occasionally like death metal... not as much as i do the others, so yeah.

must be willing to skype.

I have a fender strat and a fender mustang 1 amp. amp is currently being repaired because the tuner doesnt work on it.

I'm open any time after school.

please lemme know =D
Gold: 18,795.10
Oct 31 2011 07:51pm
You know, not to shoot you down or anything; but if you ask me, lessons are really not nessessary.

I taught myself how to play guitar using the internet as a tool. Since you have other insturment expirence, you should be able to transition well into guitar; taking in account that you have a strong music theory background.

There are a lot of free resources to learn guitar. My favorite being Justin Sandercoe; he has a LOT of free guitar lessons on youtube and he is very well rounded as a guitarist. I picked up a lot of my techniques from him.
Gold: 518.50
Nov 1 2011 12:58pm
Quote (Toothfariy @ Oct 31 2011 09:51pm)
You know, not to shoot you down or anything; but if you ask me, lessons are really not nessessary.

Depends on what you want to learn and how properly you want to learn it. Efficient guitar technique is difficult to demonstrate; even if you can emulate what they're playing, you may not necessarily be able to emulate how they're playing it. As well, while adequate resources exist for tonality related to the major scale and its modes, instructions are sparse for basically everything else and even though you may get a write-out of, say, the locrian nat6 mode, you will probably not receive an explanation of where to use it or where it's from.

Also, important things like voice leading and chord-melody composing tools are not readily taught online but are pretty key to the whole "playing the guitar well" experience.
Nov 1 2011 01:01pm
google justinguitar, and find his youtube channel. that'll be 1k fg

edit: also look for martyschwartz when you want to learn a song

and subscribe to guitar trickz because they sometimes go over theories, as well as teach riffs and scales. torrent guitar videos too. if not, you're better off paying for a in person session

This post was edited by Floppyduck on Nov 1 2011 01:02pm
Nov 1 2011 03:13pm
Forgot to mention that I'll teach you whatever you want, I'm not perfect but I know a lot of theory.
Gold: 18,795.10
Nov 1 2011 03:50pm
Quote (Me2NiK @ 1 Nov 2011 12:58)
Depends on what you want to learn and how properly you want to learn it. Efficient guitar technique is difficult to demonstrate; even if you can emulate what they're playing, you may not necessarily be able to emulate how they're playing it. As well, while adequate resources exist for tonality related to the major scale and its modes, instructions are sparse for basically everything else and even though you may get a write-out of, say, the locrian nat6 mode, you will probably not receive an explanation of where to use it or where it's from.

Also, important things like voice leading and chord-melody composing tools are not readily taught online but are pretty key to the whole "playing the guitar well" experience.

well geeze hes not trying to jump into the scale modes immediatly. from waht i understand he just wants to learn the basics at first lol
Nov 1 2011 03:59pm
Yeah I get that. But as someone who played without a teacher for many years and then was forced to take lessons (I go to school for music), I can tell you that it's easier to learn right than it is to learn wrong and have to re-learn how to do it later. It would have saved my wrist (and brain) a lot of trouble.

Theory you are probably better off learning without a teacher because theory teachers are almost universally terrible. However, so are internet resources; buy a book (this book: http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Theory-Book-Mark-Levine/dp/1883217040/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320184725&sr=8-3).

This post was edited by Me2NiK on Nov 1 2011 03:59pm
Gold: 16,380.00
Nov 1 2011 07:44pm
http://www.nextlevelguitar.com/

This is how I learned. He's an awesome teacher, and you can always rewind with internet lessons :)
Gold: 221.20
Nov 6 2011 03:31am
loling hard reading this thread.
Nov 8 2011 01:33am
i feel like it should be noted that while lessons seem like a great place to start, its probably a good idea if you just bought that guitar/amp to just buy some tabs or some kind of learn and master course, and spend 4 or 5 months just working on your own, then when you feel like your sort of hitting a wall, maybe lessons are a good idea
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll