d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Looking For An Acoustic Guitar > Iso Opinions
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Oct 10 2011 09:38pm
once upon a time i had a cheap acoustic and i hated it to death. i knew i had always wanted an electric, and one day i saved up enough to buy my Fender Stratocaster MIM for 380 with an amp. I've never regretted it.

today, I noticed that im playing a lot of fingerpicking style songs, and they just happen to sound much better on acoustic, and i was thinking of investing in one because its different than my fender strat. I still have my crappy acoustic, but its rusted, it fret buzzes, and im looking for something of better quality.

does anyone have any suggestions? im looking to maybe spend a minimum of 300 and a maximum of 400-450$

Thanks!

EDIT: I also noticed some acoustic have a smaller/ rounder bodies, what are these called? does anyone have experience with these?

This post was edited by Floppyduck on Oct 10 2011 09:40pm
Gold: 12.00
Oct 10 2011 10:36pm
Yamaha L Series. LL6 or LL16.

Smaller rounder bodies? Concert size?
Gold: 4,618.80
Oct 11 2011 02:09am
Yamaha
Fender
Encore (beginner guitars, but I still have mine from 10+ years ago xD)
Washburn

All make very good acoustics ranging from £150 - £450, so you get alot of choice.
Oct 11 2011 03:24am
i am by no means any kidn of expert on this but i did go to guitar center about 3 weeks ago when i was getting frustrated. i played around with quite a few guitars and the ppl there are really friendly( cuz they watn you to buy their shit :P ). Anyway, I was interested 2 differnt guitars im thinking about getting around christmas or late january: Martin DX1(or other offshoots of this), and the seagull s6 series, and i went in there trying really hard to like the seagulls and the taylors, but i think im going to end up getting the martin, theyre well made or so ive read, it felt ALOT better than many of the other guitars there but i cant really explain why(something with synthetic neck material?), and the biggest thing was i just liked the say it sounded, it had more of a full/lower sound than alot of the guitars, and the high strings sounded good too. its difficult to explain but i just think it fits the kind of stuff i want to play tho and its 10x more comfortable than what im playing now. Im going to go again and check one more time but im saving up the money to buy it now, it was 600$, i can probably find one on craigs list for 400-500 with a case but im not sure yet if i want to chance buying one like that. I would really go look at some though :/ ppl always say that and i never really cared for it, its cause its sort of obtrusive going to music shop and play with thier stuff but it was well worth it for me, i went in there trying really hard to like one thing, and left with completely different interest.

/e for a long time i had been thinkign about just trying to find a good deal on eebay or craigs lists, but sicn ei know very little about guitar fixing and things like that, if i bought a used guitar and found it had a crack or peeling or other kinds of problems like that, id really be up the river without a paddle, so i think im going to buy new

This post was edited by blunderwonder2 on Oct 11 2011 03:31am
Oct 11 2011 04:56am
Quote (blunderwonder2 @ 11 Oct 2011 10:24)
i am by no means any kidn of expert on this but i did go to guitar center about 3 weeks ago when i was getting frustrated. i played around with quite a few guitars and the ppl there are really friendly( cuz they watn you to buy their shit :P ). Anyway, I was interested 2 differnt guitars im thinking about getting around christmas or late january: Martin DX1(or other offshoots of this), and the seagull s6 series, and i went in there trying really hard to like the seagulls and the taylors, but i think im going to end up getting the martin, theyre well made or so ive read, it felt ALOT better than many of the other guitars there but i cant really explain why(something with synthetic neck material?), and the biggest thing was i just liked the say it sounded, it had more of a full/lower sound than alot of the guitars, and the high strings sounded good too. its difficult to explain but i just think it fits the kind of stuff i want to play tho and its 10x more comfortable than what im playing now. Im going to go again and check one more time but im saving up the money to buy it now, it was 600$, i can probably find one on craigs list for 400-500 with a case but im not sure yet if i want to chance buying one like that. I would really go look at some though :/ ppl always say that and i never really cared for it, its cause its sort of obtrusive going to music shop and play with thier stuff but it was well worth it for me, i went in there trying really hard to like one thing, and left with completely different interest.

/e for a long time i had been thinkign about just trying to find a good deal on eeebay or craigs lists, but sicn ei know very little about guitar fixing and things like that, if i bought a used guitar and found it had a crack or peeling or other kinds of problems like that, id really be up the river without a paddle, so i think im going to buy new

ive just made the same expierience like you...
wouldnt buy a guitar without trying it out again
eebay epiphone sg g 400 sucks hard, the one into the musicstore played very good
Oct 11 2011 04:57am
Quote (blunderwonder2 @ 11 Oct 2011 09:24)

/e for a long time i had been thinkign about just trying to find a good deal on eeeebay or craigs lists, but sicn ei know very little about guitar fixing and things like that, if i bought a used guitar and found it had a crack or peeling or other kinds of problems like that, id really be up the river without a paddle, so i think im going to buy new

Wrong choice dude - buy it used, take to shop.

New guitars are massively over-rated. Guitars are not like computers or phones where the newest is the best. The best guitars I own are all 2nd hand/used guitars, they are worn in, used to playing.

I don't like new guitars at all.

Quote (D@n.Gr33k @ 11 Oct 2011 10:56)
ive just made the same expierience like you...
wouldnt buy a guitar without trying it out again
eeebay epiphone sg g 400 sucks hard, the one into the musicstore played very good

Don't forget the Epiphone SGs are all shit - but sucks that you had a real bad experience with it...

This post was edited by bob(Cs2) on Oct 11 2011 04:57am
Oct 11 2011 05:05am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ 11 Oct 2011 11:57)
Wrong choice dude - buy it used, take to shop.

New guitars are massively over-rated. Guitars are not like computers or phones where the newest is the best. The best guitars I own are all 2nd hand/used guitars, they are worn in, used to playing.

I don't like new guitars at all.

Don't forget the Epiphone SGs are all shit - but sucks that you had a real bad experience with it...

well my bandmate has a epiphone sg thats completly awesome , nearly the same model
but well i like vintage guitars alot more its just like they are telling you a livetime story and the mostly sound alot better than new ones... im just searching a old fender as second guitar as a bronco or something not that common. (main guitar is atm my (new) fender jaguar special sunburst, shes lovly)

and a vintage and played guitar just looks 100times better than a new one with some missing colour n stuff..

This post was edited by D@n.Gr33k on Oct 11 2011 05:07am
Oct 11 2011 05:08am
Quote (D@n.Gr33k @ 11 Oct 2011 11:05)
well my bandmate has a  epiphone sg thats completly awesome , nearly the same model
but well i like vintage guitars alot more its just like they are telling you a livetime story and the mostly sound alot better than new ones... im just searching a old fender as second guitar as a bronco or something not that common. (main guitar is atm my (new) fender jaguar special sunburst, shes lovly)

Cool Cool - You should look out for any Korean Teles, or even go vintage with a Mustang like me :P

Obv choice for an SG is Gibson - you can get them for just over $500 now, i've seen them as low as £400 aswell!
Oct 11 2011 05:11am
btw your mustang is completly stunning ;)

mustang tele bronco lead jazzmaster jaguar anything that goes like that but id never buy a strat, i just hate them :D

ive baught some time ago a epiphone ea 250 ist kind of 70s 335 style es .. it didnt felt nice. like breaking while playing it.. than i got worried and sold it and made 150€+ :'D

300bucks new but should need a jaguar tremolo and should be vintage

This post was edited by D@n.Gr33k on Oct 11 2011 05:28am
Oct 11 2011 05:26am
Win win there!! And ty <3 she is beautiful.

I'd like a strat one day, but it's not at all a priority for me. You see the 12 string i'm getting? :o It's in the PostYourGear thread! :D

Depends on how often you use tremlo - I don't, so luckily I don't need one lol.

This post was edited by bob(Cs2) on Oct 11 2011 05:26am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll