d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Bass?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 629.50
Oct 10 2011 12:06am
I play the bassoon, but I've gotten bored of it and so I'm selling mine off.

I want to play the bass guitar as something more casual and was wondering what to get.

I don't want something TOO expensive for a first model but my friends that play guitar and bass recommended this:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-BTB675-5-String-Bass-Guitar-Nat/8RQ

They say it's technically good, high quality and will last a while with me taking care of it.

Would you agree for a first model?

The price point is fine btw.

LMK pros :)
Gold: 0.00
Oct 10 2011 02:34am
if you want to buy an instrument ALWAYS try it out into a musicstore.
ive made the expierience that 2 of the same model guitar can play whole different from each other.
just try some out and youll get the right feeling for one bass. its not like buying a computer and looking at the stats it has, its completly different!
ive made the mistake buying a guitar at eeeeebay (epiphone g 400 custom) but it was completly rubish, the same guitar into the musicstore was pretty good...
and why do you prefer 5sting? isnt 4string the common thing?
and isnt it a bit too expensiv as a first bass? my first "real" guitar was like 300bucks

to that bass : its not appealing to me. i love road worn fenders , i think i would buy myself an old jazz bazz.. or that cheap bronco bass because its a shortscale

This post was edited by D@n.Gr33k on Oct 10 2011 02:48am
Gold: 629.50
Oct 10 2011 04:41am
Quote (D@n.Gr33k @ 10 Oct 2011 09:34)
if you want to buy an instrument ALWAYS try it out into a musicstore.
ive made the expierience that 2 of the same model guitar can play whole different from each other.
just try some out and youll get the right feeling for one bass. its not like buying a computer and looking at the stats it has, its completly different!
ive made the mistake buying a guitar at eeeeeebay (epiphone g 400 custom) but it was completly rubish, the same guitar into the musicstore was pretty good...
and why do you prefer 5sting? isnt 4string the common thing?
and isnt it a bit too expensiv as a first bass? my first "real" guitar was like 300bucks

to that bass : its not appealing to me. i love road worn fenders , i think i would buy myself an old jazz bazz.. or that cheap bronco bass because its a shortscale

I intend to learn on a 5 string rather than graduate to one as it'll all be free time self learning and I pick instruments up fast.

I'll go down to my local PMT and give one a go though, great idea. :]

Gold: 0.00
Oct 10 2011 05:09am
Quote (Neutral @ 10 Oct 2011 11:41)
I intend to learn on a 5 string rather than graduate to one as it'll all be free time self learning and I pick instruments up fast.

I'll go down to my local PMT and give one a go though, great idea. :]

write later here if youve bought one :D

This post was edited by D@n.Gr33k on Oct 10 2011 05:14am
Gold: 18,795.10
Oct 12 2011 01:59am
If you've never played bass before, i wouldnt recommend starting on a 5 string. If you have then well you should know what you're in for.

5 strings are really kind of pointless imo. That low B i find is rarely used if at all.

But ibanez is a good brand to start off with. Depending on your price range; and idk what the exchage rate from euros to dollars is; but you can pick up a decent quality bass for about 300 bucks.

Though as said above; go to a music store, look at some of the basses they have on the sales floor; see what you like; compare prices, sound, etc. Then you can talk to the sales person and probably get the price knocked down a bit. Infact i got about 500 dollars knocked off my bass when i bought it brand new =) (i have a musicman stringray ^^ )
Gold: 36.00
Oct 12 2011 02:02pm
Quote (Toothfariy @ Oct 12 2011 12:59am)
If you've never played bass before, i wouldnt recommend starting on a 5 string. If you have then well you should know what you're in for.

5 strings are really kind of pointless imo. That low B i find is rarely used if at all.

But ibanez is a good brand to start off with. Depending on your price range; and idk what the exchage rate from euros to dollars is; but you can pick up a decent quality bass for about 300 bucks.

Though as said above; go to a music store, look at some of the basses they have on the sales floor; see what you like; compare prices, sound, etc. Then you can talk to the sales person and probably get the price knocked down a bit. Infact i got about 500 dollars knocked off my bass when i bought it brand new =)  (i have a musicman stringray ^^ )

lol who tunes the first string to a low b? I have played giuitar/bass for 17 years and I have always tuned a five string bass E A D G B (no where in there is a low b) 5 strings are great, and honestly no harder/different than a four string bass, you just have an extra string so therefore some higher notes, that is about it.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll