d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Not Sure If This Is The Proper Place To Post!! > Looking For High Quality...
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.20
Sep 25 2011 07:28pm
Over Ear Headphones..

Not looking for Dr Dre Beats to me there just headphones behind a record label..

So im looking for some decently priced Over Ear Headphones that'll mostly be used for mountain bike riding and dancing around the house ;P

Top 5 would be great! recently had some Skull Candy which were wonderful but broke :(
Sep 26 2011 04:04pm
I dance around the house when im bored too..
Gold: 3,870.00
Sep 27 2011 01:02am
I have these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-RH-300-Stereo-Headphones-103932620-i1165132.gc#customer-reviews

I use them a lot and they are really comfortable and you can have them on for hours and feel no discomfort, and the audio quality is top notch.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 27 2011 03:06pm
first things first:
do you want open back or closed back?

open back:
wider sound-stage, better definition, clearer sound, sound leaks (people besides you can hear it), and you can hear people talking etc (I kinda like this. It doesn't mess up the way sound resonates in my head. I always feel awkward talking with noise cancelling headphones).

closed back offers noise cancelling and generally heavier bass. Of course, I have an open backed pair of headphones, and the bass is clear, punchy, and well-balanced. It's a matter of preference. You'll probably find more neutrality in open backed headphones than closed back as closed back tend to be stronger in the lower mids and bass section and often trim off highs. That being said, you can probably find some tonally neutral high quality closed backed headphones.

What kind of music do you listen to? That's another important topic.

Also, how long would you be wearing them at a time? I have a pair of AKG K242HDs, and the sound is glorious, open, neutral, well-defined, prominent bass, but the comfort gets to me after a few hours.

I guess as a preliminary I'd recommend Beyerdynamic DT-770s for closed-back and DT-880s for open...990s are even better for open (but more $$$). Which reminds me that price range is important too.
Sep 27 2011 04:20pm
Well these headphones will be used for mountain riding so.. I guess noise cancelling wouldn't be quite to good, and ya I like to hear myself sing as well ;P ( big loser i am arent i )
Music ranges from everything except Country, meaning ( Rap , Techno , West Indie , R&B , Heavy metal , Rock , Jazz , Pop )
Hmm price range, last pair I only paid 70$ so I figure I can do anything from 50-250
Sep 27 2011 04:37pm
well I'd recommend Sennheiser HD 598, the Beyerdynamics, or AKG k242HDs...umm differences I guess:
First of all the Beyerdynamic 770s are closed, so forget about those. The 880s are probably a little out of your price range unless you go used. You can probably find a pair on eebay. My friend has a pair of them. They have a beautiful sound-stage and clarity, and they have enough bass, but their focus is more on the upper mids/highs (they're amazing for vocals/jazz/classical). One thing to be careful if you choose to buy the BD 880s: DON'T GET HIGH OHM ONES. I think they come in 32 Ohm, 80 Ohm, 250 Ohm, and 600 Ohm. You will NEED an amplifier for 250/600 ohm, 80 ohm will drain kinda drain your battery, 32 ohm would be ideal for your needs I imagine.

The 598s are probably your best bet. They're a little warm, good mids, wide sound-stage, bass is probably around on par with the 880s. Cheaper than the 880s. Not as comfortable. The 880s, while a little tight, have the softest velvety earpads. They kinda get warm after awhile though. The 598s are still pretty comfortable.

I have the AKGs, but I don't think the K242HDs are in production anymore. While the BDs have a boost in the upper mids/highs, and the 598s have a boost in the mids, the AKGs tend towards neutrality (meaning the mastering and mixing done on your track is what comes through. That or the eq on your player). They're not as comfortable, and they're pretty big, but I think they sound perfect for me.

So, I'd say go for the 598s. There are tons of other phones out there. I'd recommend asking on head-fi.org. There's a headphone forum where a bunch of audiophiles just talk about tone all day. I spent 3 days straight researching that website/searching the headphones I found there before I picked mine. It can get really specific when you start to understand exactly what tone you're looking for.

Also, since you go mountain riding, you might want to look at inner-ear monitors. Headphones seem really clunky for biking. I'm not sure if you can get IEMs that don't cancel noise though. I could go on for awhile about this topic, obviously. Just go to head-fi.org lol :lol:
Sep 27 2011 04:38pm
Quote (Annor @ Sep 27 2011 06:20pm)
Well these headphones will be used for mountain riding so.. I guess noise cancelling wouldn't be quite to good, and ya I like to hear myself sing as well ;P ( big loser i am arent i )
Music ranges from everything except Country, meaning ( Rap , Techno , West Indie , R&B , Heavy metal , Rock , Jazz , Pop )
Hmm price range, last pair I only paid 70$ so I figure I can do anything from 50-250

if u are goign to be riding a bike and using headphones, your probably goign to end up with an uncomfortable pair though yes? I just mean theyre gonna have to fit pretty tight to be on a person who is pedalling around and shit so u dont drop them... maybe look into upper end earbud kind of fones?
Sep 27 2011 04:51pm
My last ones were over ear and were very comfortable
Gold: 3,867.00
Sep 27 2011 05:29pm
Quote (Annor @ 27 Sep 2011 13:51)
My last ones were over ear and were very comfortable

You don't need High quality head phones pedaling around town and dancing in your house..

Honestly, Monster's Beats line IS far from crap..
Sep 27 2011 05:42pm
Hehe might be buying thee HE 598's several people have told me they fit my needs perefectly!!

I love you Derkaderk
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll