d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Looking To Get Good At Drumming > Give Me Your Advice
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 106.00
Sep 23 2011 03:35pm
So I bought a random Westbury beginner kit a few months ago and just sat down and started playing, and now I'm missing a ton of fundamentals and have probably formed some really shitty habits. Could somebody suggest some books or videos or anything that I should get ahold of? Any tips in general are good.
I have a musical background in singing, bass, etc., so I can keep a beat, but I really need some tips on what I should do to make myself sound better when I'm playing. Because at the moment I can play some difficult beats, but they sound like shit.

Also- Are Westbury kits really bad quality (If you've even heard of Westbury .. )? or am I just bad at tuning?

This post was edited by Megalo on Sep 23 2011 03:36pm
Gold: 0.00
Sep 23 2011 04:56pm
nice
Gold: 0.00
Sep 24 2011 05:11pm
tuning is always different due to the fact that everyone wants their own perception of a "perfect sound", so once you get your own type of style, you'll learn to tune your drums to how you want them to sound

for me, getting better came with playing live shows, or playing with a band. --> if you are forced to be creative, you learn how to drum.
also i suggest doing rudiments to help with technique

also with your kit, i think they make guitars as well.. but i've personally never played either one of their guitars or kits, can't help there :(

This post was edited by vezo on Sep 24 2011 05:13pm
Gold: 12.00
Sep 25 2011 08:09am
Westbury is a marketing company that contracts other drum manufacturers to make them some drums to sell. They don't have designers or a production plant. There's a lot of companies like this. CB, Pro Cussion, Trak, Stagg, and Pro Beat to name a few. Some of these brands or the competitors to them can be found in Wal-mart and stores of the such. Westbury however has been around for quite some time and in recent years have held the higher standard in this beginner drum market.

If you want to get good, I would recommend lessons with a reputable teacher. The things to get in the first 2 months are proper grip, technique, ergonomics and practical lessons. How to pick out drum sticks, what to listen for in cymbals, how to make music instead of how to go through the motions. There's two books I'd go through:

Carmine Appice Ultimate Realistic Rock

and

Alfreds Snare Drum Methood Book 1

With the Alfreds Book, just ignore the bottom lines of music and only play the snare part. This book will teach you sticking, reading, rolls and some rudiments like flams and drags and their application. This is a great book to start with. The Carmine Appice book is the fun one. If you can master the first 8 pages, you can probably go perform with a band in front of an audience and impress them. This book is a great stepping stone into drum kit performance. Come back when you get half way through Carmine Appice and I'll prescribe a new book or two.
Gold: 6.00
Sep 25 2011 10:07am
time keeping is what you want to get good at before you even have any thought of doing any fancy shit. get a metranome and play along with it just keeping basic time. NO ROLLS
GL :D
Sep 25 2011 08:04pm
Quote (You @ Sep 25 2011 11:07am)
time keeping is what you want to get good at before you even have any thought of doing any fancy shit. get a metranome and play along with it just keeping basic time. NO ROLLS
GL :D

No rolls? Why?
Gold: 6.00
Sep 26 2011 02:26pm
Quote (Superchum @ Sep 25 2011 09:04pm)
No rolls? Why?

excuse me, no rolls at least until you can keep time near perfect
Sep 26 2011 03:14pm
Quote (Superchum @ Sep 25 2011 09:04pm)
No rolls? Why?

I would be quick to argue, using your two limbs is easier and more basic than using three and four. But I've only been teaching for 10 years. You might have some greater insight on this.
Gold: 60.01
Sep 26 2011 03:26pm
Quote (Superchum @ 27 Sep 2011 00:14)
But I've only been teaching for 10 years. You might have some greater insight on this.

:thumbsup:
Gold: 106.00
Sep 26 2011 05:10pm
Quote (Superchum @ Sep 26 2011 04:14pm)
I would be quick to argue, using your two limbs is easier and more basic than using three and four. But I've only been teaching for 10 years. You might have some greater insight on this.

I don't really have many troubles with my coordination, It's mostly that I'm having trouble making everything I play sound better.
I think the main issue is that I've never been taught how to properly hit any of the drums or cymbals, and as I said, I've developed some bad habits (Tensing up when I try to double stroke, etc.).
I just don't really have much "flow" to my drumming. As you said, I'm basically "going through the motions" rather than making music.

Just really looking for things that helped people when they started drumming (any books or practice beats or anything).
I got lessons for a while, but my drum teacher was pretty shitty and had no organization or specific order of teaching things.

I'll check out those books you mentioned, thanks bud.

This post was edited by Megalo on Sep 26 2011 05:14pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll