d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > In Flames - December Flower Solo Cover
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Sep 1 2011 03:38pm

Here's my rendition of one of the most amazing solos ever in my opinion. I miss old In Flames.

Let me know what you guys think!
Gold: 4,807.80
Sep 1 2011 04:02pm
Nicely done - but by no means or in any way AT ALL is this an amazing solo, or one of the best ever. At all. I Love In Flames, but lets be real bro ;)
Gold: 0.70
Sep 1 2011 09:12pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sep 2 2011 11:02am)
Nicely done - but by no means or in any way AT ALL is this an amazing solo, or one of the best ever. At all. I Love In Flames, but lets be real bro ;)

Ahem. It IS one of the best melodic solos ever.

Nicely played but you need to turn up the volume :S i hear more of the string twanging than the notes :/
Sep 1 2011 09:38pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sep 1 2011 06:02pm)

Thanks man, but as I said it was my opinion.

Quote (Cloudfire @ Sep 1 2011 11:12pm)

Nicely played but you need to turn up the volume :S i hear more of the string twanging than the notes :/

Thanks! But I don't understand how you can't hear clearly. The distortion's perfectly clear when I take a listen.
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Sep 1 2011 10:27pm
Your alternate picking is great. Your phrasing of the bends is both excellent in its own right as well as being true to the original when you bend, among the best I have heard. Overall you did a really good job, but I do have some critiques of the finer elements that I think you can refine. Your playing is mostly very strong, but there are some spots for improvement.

I know the solo quite well - there's a story behind this... before YouTube, many years before, there was a group of guitarists on the In Flames forum that considered this the holy grail of solos. Amateur recordings and insights were traded, someone got in contact with Fredrik Johansson regarding it and he provided some valuable insight into the solo. I don't have a copy of any of these conversations (the IF forum was deleted, don't have the PMs either), but I have a decent recollection of it.

-There is no tapping in the solo, hand positioning is key for those parts. Starting on the 6th string for the opening run makes it much easier than starting on the 5th.
-At 0:10 and 0:24, I believe parts of those runs are legato, not alternate picked.
-A few of the slides don't sound quite right, the pick noise in this video makes a bit tough to decipher. I believe one of the earlier ones at 0:07 should be a bend. The last one around 0:17 doesn't sound quite right, you played either an extra pick stroke, or maybe it should be shifted a string down? Not sure on that one.

My memory of this is getting foggier as I try to remember specifics, but I hope this can help.
Sep 1 2011 11:22pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Sep 2 2011 12:27am)
Your alternate picking is great. Your phrasing of the bends is both excellent in its own right as well as being true to the original when you bend, among the best I have heard. Overall you did a really good job, but I do have some critiques of the finer elements that I think you can refine. Your playing is mostly very strong, but there are some spots for improvement.

I know the solo quite well - there's a story behind this... before YouTube, many years before, there was a group of guitarists on the In Flames forum that considered this the holy grail of solos. Amateur recordings and insights were traded, someone got in contact with Fredrik Johansson regarding it and he provided some valuable insight into the solo. I don't have a copy of any of these conversations (the IF forum was deleted, don't have the PMs either), but I have a decent recollection of it.

-There is no tapping in the solo, hand positioning is key for those parts. Starting on the 6th string for the opening run makes it much easier than starting on the 5th.
-At 0:10 and 0:24, I believe parts of those runs are legato, not alternate picked.
-A few of the slides don't sound quite right, the pick noise in this video makes a bit tough to decipher. I believe one of the earlier ones at 0:07 should be a bend. The last one around 0:17 doesn't sound quite right, you played either an extra pick stroke, or maybe it should be shifted a string down? Not sure on that one.

My memory of this is getting foggier as I try to remember specifics, but I hope this can help.

Geez, thanks a lot man, it means a lot to me!

As for the insight, I'll try working on it and re-upload it. I never knew how it was actually played since there's only amateur recordings of it and NO live version at all. I'm glad you were able to remember those information and as I said, I'll re-work on it and do it right this time.

Thanks again!
Sep 2 2011 02:44am
Quote (Cloudfire @ 2 Sep 2011 03:12)

Lets be honest - there are bigger longer and more melodic solo's out there, tis all i'm saying.

Darkshade - you ever done any Scar Symmetry? Judging by your style, they are probably right up your ally!
Sep 2 2011 10:18am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sep 2 2011 04:44am)
Lets be honest - there are bigger longer and more melodic solo's out there, tis all i'm saying.

Darkshade - you ever done any Scar Symmetry? Judging by your style, they are probably right up your ally!

I LOVE Scar Symmetry (Well, Christian-era), and no unfortunately I haven't done any!
Sep 3 2011 02:42am
Quote (Darkshade @ 2 Sep 2011 16:18)
I LOVE Scar Symmetry (Well, Christian-era), and no unfortunately I haven't done any!

Neither have I lol - some of the stuff is really crazy imo, certainly solo wise :o

I WISH i could see them live, but alas, never in the UK when i am around :angry:
Sep 3 2011 09:57am
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sep 3 2011 04:42am)
Neither have I lol - some of the stuff is really crazy imo, certainly solo wise :o

I WISH i could see them live, but alas, never in the UK when i am around :angry:

Of course, Per is an incredible guitarist! I saw them last year, but was totally disappointed from both singers, especially the clean one. Other than that, they put on a hell of a show and played some good tunes.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll