d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Is This A Good Or Bad Thign? > Hmm
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 655.00
Aug 24 2011 01:21am
I've been playing guitar on my own for a while now and I love the instrument so much, but I find that because I lack the musical knowlege (theory) I am not able to play to my full potential... All I ever really did was cover songs and such, I was never able to improvise...
I'm an ear-oriented musician... I can hear things and pick it up very well, which is why my piano teacher never played songs for me after realizing I had a very good ear. (I can't read music btw.)
My sight reading is level 1, but my hearing is what carried me to level 6 piano before I quit. (piano is quite boring)
I love the guitar though... but now, it's just really frustrating. I've decided I'm going to quit guitar and start picking up the drums....
my reasoning is as follows:

1. I can't read notes and drums don't have notes.
2. I play everything by ear... which means I can pick up on drums pretty fast... not technique wise, but fills and such.
3. I want to be able to improv and as long as I'm in correct time signature, it's very easy with the drums. (I don't have to worry about being in the wrong key.)

The problem I have with this is that I truly want to continue playing guitar but I feel like I'm not good enough nor will I ever be able to reach my goals.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 24 2011 03:19am
i think its more difficult finding a note on the guitar than reading the music... i used the program fretboard warrior + a small bit of prior knowledge to learn all the notes on the fretborad, it doestn help much because it still takes time and its in no particular order.. first u just need to learn where all the D,s are, the Bs, maybe the E,s, and the Gs then d/l fretboard warrior, and then just use that. What im working on now is, going thru scales.. all of them. but instead of just going thru the pattern, i write the scale notes out, and then i play it using the music notes instead of tablature. Pretty sure thats the only way to do it. I feel like theory is something u can latch on to alot quicker than learning guitar... its like after u learn all the A's and D's on a fretboard, it makes learning the B's and C's easier, and its like that, you just build on it and it gets easier, its just very tough at the beginning because you have no references.
Aug 24 2011 08:12am
Quote (blunderwonder2 @ Aug 24 2011 05:19am)
i think its more difficult finding a note on the guitar than reading the music...  i used the program fretboard warrior + a small bit of prior knowledge to learn all the notes on the fretborad, it doestn help much because it still takes time and its in no particular order..  first u just need to learn where all the D,s are, the Bs, maybe the E,s, and the Gs then d/l fretboard warrior, and then just use that.  What im working on now is, going thru scales.. all of them.  but instead of just going thru the pattern, i write the scale notes out, and then i play it using the music notes instead of tablature.  Pretty sure thats the only way to do it.  I feel like theory is something u can latch on to alot quicker than learning guitar... its like after u learn all the  A's and D's on a fretboard, it makes learning the B's and C's easier, and its like that, you just build on it and it gets easier, its just very tough at the beginning because you have no references.

I've actually been playing for quite a bit and the only thing I ever really excelled at was my technique... I took lessons for 8 months and my skill progressed insanely... and now I feel like I'm back to square one with this shit.
Gold: 4,807.80
Aug 24 2011 10:47am
You are in a rut - it happens. You can get lessons again for music theory dude, colleges offer these courses - even if 1 day a week.

Also - if you can pick up stuff by ear, and you don't bother with music or tabs, then why not just jam over stuff? Here is a badass song to improv over

Look at the 5 blues scales - if technique is a strength, then get comfy with the scales and play them over this song. The chords are piss easy too

Easeh!
Aug 25 2011 01:35am
i cant iomprov though :(
i dont know wtf to do when i iomprov
Aug 25 2011 02:25am
You must know at least 1 scale right?

Improv is about using the right notes - basic improv would be playing the scale you know over some music and just mixing it up a little.

The difficult part is creating a solo out of your improv, something I also struggle with. The only thing you can do is keep playing scales/parts of scales over the music.

And as I said, this song is perfect for it because you just need to play a pentatonic over it really. Find the root note (the note that sounds good with 002200 and scale from it.
Gold: 18,795.10
Aug 25 2011 02:30am
It seems like ur solution would be to study some theory.

Some people are dead set against it, but i find the more theory i know the more versitile i am.

Even at a basic level, understanding the major scale and its modes would be fundamental in improving. If you can understand that and recall that fluently; the you're set.

If you learn the modes, the pentatonic and blues scales are ez as fewk
Aug 25 2011 05:03am
Quote (Toothfariy @ 25 Aug 2011 08:30)
It seems like ur solution would be to study some theory.

Some people are dead set against it, but i find the more theory i know the more versitile i am.

Even at a basic level, understanding the major scale and its modes would be fundamental in improving. If you can understand that and recall that fluently; the you're set.

If you learn the modes, the pentatonic and blues scales are ez as fewk

Indeed - this is what i am currently doing
Gold: 44.25
Aug 25 2011 04:22pm
Quote (DeathDeception @ Aug 24 2011 02:21am)
I've been playing guitar on my own for a while now and I love the instrument so much, but I find that because I lack the musical knowlege (theory) I am not able to play to my full potential... All I ever really did was cover songs and such, I was never able to improvise...
I'm an ear-oriented musician... I can hear things and pick it up very well, which is why my piano teacher never played songs for me after realizing I had a very good ear. (I can't read music btw.)
My sight reading is level 1, but my hearing is what carried me to level 6 piano before I quit. (piano is quite boring)
I love the guitar though... but now, it's just really frustrating. I've decided I'm going to quit guitar and start picking up the drums....
my reasoning is as follows:

1. I can't read notes and drums don't have notes.
2. I play everything by ear... which means I can pick up on drums pretty fast... not technique wise, but fills and such.
3. I want to be able to improv and as long as I'm in correct time signature, it's very easy with the drums. (I don't have to worry about being in the wrong key.)

The problem I have with this is that I truly want to continue playing guitar but I feel like I'm not good enough nor will I ever be able to reach my goals.

What are you playing, trash cans? Of course drums have notes, don't be retarded.
Aug 25 2011 07:04pm
Quote (Ghost_Smoke @ Aug 25 2011 06:22pm)
What are you playing, trash cans? Of course drums have notes, don't be retarded.

if you can play a c major scale on the drums, please post a video and ill go kill myself.
acoustic drums
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll