d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Ear Training Thread, Sort Of Guitar Specific > Hi !
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 29 2011 04:11am
Ok, so i post here all the time i know that, and ofc i am grateful for any help.

My question for this week basically pertains to tabbing out songs, working through them or whatever.

I am actually really interested in this because I can learn the crappy songs that people tab out and put up. Many times they are wrong, or i just dont like the way they sound. So i go onto youtube, and some guy will be doing a cover and i really like the way it sounds... but i have no idea what hes playing :/ Plus, i kind of find it fun figuring out the notes and whatnot

So basically my question involves the process one might go through to tab out music. (chords and easy-intermediate songs in particular)

Do you start with maybe the type of chord progression or something? say you know there is a G major(maybe) and then you can hear a minor chord, maybe another major chord then a minor chord

Do you experiment with different progressions in a key and then change the key that the progression is in till your close? maybe try to listen for individual notes one at a time and then build the chord? listen to the number of strings played?

Maybe you listen to oen chord and over and over and just try to replicate them one by one ( this is not something i am good at, even when i can reference possible chord shapes from the video )

i have been using that site by ricci adams, musictheory.net, there is an interval ear training thing, and also one for chords( they have been very helpful, and i think my hearing is actually becoming more discerning)

Its just that i can go on youtube and find 10 different people playing the same song 10 different ways. But its like my hearing is not good enough to figure out exactly what chords are being played(either due to inexperience, bad hearing, or a crappy recording, or because i cant see the frets), or my theory is not up to par to figure this type of thing out.

Anyway, i was just curious as to what has been the most helpful thing in learning to do this for yall

This post was edited by blunderwonder2 on Jun 29 2011 04:19am
Gold: 16,894.22
Jun 30 2011 03:34am
ear training will take awhile,i recommand you start from the basics such as indentifying simple invervals from the major scale.
heres a website you can start off from.

http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer
Jun 30 2011 03:58am
Quote (CrimsonOdin @ Jun 30 2011 05:34am)
ear training will take awhile,i recommand you start from the basics such as indentifying simple invervals from the major scale.
heres a website you can start off from.

http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer

that site is not bad but i have been using

musictheory.net

i like thiers better.

this is part of it i think the ear thing but, if you picked a random chord and played it, i woudlnt be able to tell u much other than if was minor/major, and if it was a 6string, or 4 string chord. thats about the limit :/

even when i can see someoen playing on youtube its tough, because theres shapes i dont know, like i thought i saw a weird C, turns out it was some alternate way to play F, its like a Dm7 but with 4th string 3rd fret added.

i dont know, ive been trying to tab out things but i always run into something like Cadd9, or Em7. im just not familiar enough with their shapes or sounds to make them out easily

This post was edited by blunderwonder2 on Jun 30 2011 04:00am
Gold: 16,894.22
Jun 30 2011 06:23am
just keep it up with identifying the intervals, in time you'll be able to hear them within chords.
also i'll cnt stress enough how important it is to not learn 'shapes' ( actually it is useful but learn them and forget them ) i've been stuck using shapes for far to long and what that has led to is not learning the fretboard and the notes im playing.

actually how good is your theory if i may ask?
Gold: 630.01
Jun 30 2011 09:23am
trying to find a tab for this song but no luck :(

if you get good at ear training then please make a tab :D

Jun 30 2011 02:19pm
Quote (CrimsonOdin @ Jun 30 2011 08:23am)
just keep it up with identifying the intervals, in time you'll be able to hear them within chords.
also i'll cnt stress enough how important it is to not learn 'shapes' ( actually it is useful but learn them and forget them ) i've been stuck using shapes for far to long and what that has led to is not learning the fretboard and the notes im playing.

actually how good is your theory if i may ask?

its pretty bad. I havnt memorized much more than keys, chord progressions, the harmonized scale etc. The probably i have with it is that most music theory books read like a glossary, its like someone telling you the name of everything in an engine, but not how they work or why theyre there.

/e, also as far as intervals and ear training go, id really like to learn them with guitar sounds, but it seems like all the sites only use piano sounds :/ I cant really use my guitar to do it because then i would know the interval before i had to guess or w/e

This post was edited by blunderwonder2 on Jun 30 2011 02:21pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll