d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Well Alright > I Just Made A Recording And I Suck
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.20
Jun 18 2011 08:24pm
i know i need to practice
but my voice is a lot weaker than i expected
my laptop doesn't meet prime recording requirements, but other than that, can anyone give me any tips on voice projecting or anything of that kind?
i absolutely hated the two recordings i made and i'm really discouraged and tempted to never play in front of anyone
Gold: 306.31
Jun 18 2011 08:27pm
you got camera shy ;p
you sound better than you think
Gold: 0.00
Jun 18 2011 10:23pm
just get really good at guitar, then people wont question your voice :P thats my plan lol..
Gold: 12.00
Jun 18 2011 10:49pm
It's not your voice or your laptop. It's probably your ears and practice. The way your voice sounds to you, resonating in your head sounds different than from an audience's point of view. You need practice singing and recording these songs and listen to your dynamics, pitch and tone. As you hear it back, you'll find in one segment your always sharp, so make the adjustment and try it again. Once you get that move on to your next problem and practice and fix that. Repeat this until this song sounds the way you think it should sound. No out of control volume jumps or pitchy notes. The next song you sing will be easier and so on.

On a side note, using a cheap dynamic microphone through a crappy sound card, mic pre amp and crappy computer will be a poor representation of what you really sound like. Having decent equipment isn't necessary but it certainly helps and encourages.
Gold: 1.00
Jun 19 2011 10:05am
Your voice will sound different when you hear the recording then it does when you sing. It might even sound bad to you, even if you are singing good. It takes some getting used to, and it takes people by surprise when they hear their recorded voice and they start to be very critical of the singing. It is good to be critical but understand that your recorded voice may sound bad to you even if its good. It just sounds unnatural because you hear your voice different when you talk or when you hear a recording of it. Also a voice can sound unnatural if you sang into one mic and have no type of reverb on the recording. This is because all sound is meant to be heard with reverb, through two ears. If you make a recording you are hearing what one mic heard in one spot in the room. This is different from hearing what two ears would have heard, or two mics. You can make natural reverb by recording with 2 mics simultaeneously or you can add reverb through effects. Also, you may have been shy and did not project your voice very good in the recording. All I can say is keep practicing.
Gold: 4.20
Jun 23 2011 11:58pm
thank you for the feed back
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll