d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Question For You Guitar Veterans > Looking For Guidance As Usual
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 8 2011 02:41pm
hey, ok so, im working my way through the lesson book.

so far ive covered, all the notes in first position, sharps/flats, key signatures etc memorized all the major scales. the first 3 pentatonic blocks(the oens with the highest frets being 2, 5 and 7.), all the open chords, all the suspended 7ths, all of the 6th and 5th string barre chords.

i am starting on the finger pickign lesson, and i still have to go through another pentatonic lesson, blues lesson, jazz lesson, 3 note on a string scale lesson. "two" chord lesson, open major 7th chord lesson, and some stuff on forming chords with the harmonic perfect diminished all that

anyway im like 60 pages into a 110 page learn and master guitar book.

my question is!

when is a good time to stop learning all of this stuff and start learning soem of my favorite songs, because ive been pushing my way through this book for ~ 3weeks now i feel like, doing 5+ hours a day on the guitar, its more like 2-3 solid hours, with an hour or 2 of bullshitting around.

but again my question is, when is a good time to stop fussing with all this stuff, and just move onto songs i like :/? its not that the lesson book is boring, its just frustrating because i can see there is a lifetime of learning music theory, but i dont want to be a music major, i just want to learn some cool songs :/
Jun 8 2011 03:10pm
there's never a good time to stop learning the foundation of music, but you can go off and learn songs you like whenever you want.

This post was edited by Derkaderk on Jun 8 2011 03:10pm
Gold: 1.00
Jun 8 2011 05:34pm
dont get too caught up in music theory. Its great to have it, but theres no point in knowing how great this stuff is unless you can actually use it.
Gold: 14,569.69
Jun 8 2011 06:54pm
music needs more good songwriters not more things to practice
Jun 8 2011 06:54pm
thnx for replies, i was just hoping there was a good place to stop... i mean there is only so much to learn yes? i was just getting frustrated i guess because of this

|

is E flat chord, and its difficult for me to play, its the same with B flat chord. im going to give them both some more time, and see what happens, but usually the chords start to sound better and better, these dont :/ its the same struggle every time. either they sound like garbage, or it takes me 10 seconds to get my fingers right.

i am going to go ahead and finish the lesson book all the way through though, and focus all my attention on that, then after its over start working on songs id like to learn

This post was edited by blunderwonder2 on Jun 8 2011 06:54pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jun 8 2011 08:14pm
just get your basic theory down and your good for most music (popular music anyways)

more important though is how well your ear can listen through intervals in a chord and understanding rhythm.

if you already know how to play chords in the guitar and know basic theory, then get to listening and playing music!

Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll