d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Epiphone Lp Or Agile 3000/3100?
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 19,901.07
May 18 2011 10:07pm
so imma beginner with this whole guitar thing...i have an acoustic seagull which i play on occasion. so my buddy is giving me his mustang III for 50 because he's upgrading. basically i've been looking for an electric now and have come down to either of the 2 before mentioned guitars. from most reviews online it SEEMS as if the agile is either the same or better in terms of quality and overall sound. the agile is 400 whereas the the epiphone equivalent is around 100 more expensive. as i don't know anyone with an agile and no music stores around carry them, i can't really try it out. that being said, it seems worth it to take the chance on the agile, as there's a 100% money back guarantee with no questions asked...also, the agiles have more colors/patterns to choose from(spalted rootbeer looks pretty sick). so as i dunno shit about guitars and their parts i thought i'd ask here on d2jsp, a computer gaming forum...hmmm...well worth a shot.

This post was edited by basebalplyr88 on May 18 2011 10:08pm
Gold: 20.00
May 19 2011 07:53am
agile is a great beginner/budget brand with a lot of reputation for it, but i'm personally a pretty big epiphone fan.

which guitar is it? lp doesn't really help too much.
May 19 2011 06:08pm
Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro would the the model i've seen most people compare it to.
Gold: 36.00
May 19 2011 07:41pm
Quote (basebalplyr88 @ May 18 2011 09:07pm)
so imma beginner with this whole guitar thing...i have an acoustic seagull which i play on occasion. so my buddy is giving me his mustang III for 50 because he's upgrading. basically i've been looking for an electric now and have come down to either of the 2 before mentioned guitars. from most reviews online it SEEMS as if the agile is either the same or better in terms of quality and overall sound. the agile is 400 whereas the the epiphone equivalent is around 100 more expensive. as i don't know anyone with an agile and no music stores around carry them, i can't really try it out. that being said, it seems worth it to take the chance on the agile, as there's a 100% money back guarantee with no questions asked...also, the agiles have more colors/patterns to choose from(spalted rootbeer looks pretty sick). so as i dunno shit about guitars and their parts i thought i'd ask here on d2jsp, a computer gaming forum...hmmm...well worth a shot.

Put it this way, the Agile IS a better guitar, I mean come on, ebony fretboard, maple cap, mahogony back...... BUT the Epiphone will have much better resale value since it is a known name where as Agile is a "house brand". It is dumb, but if I were you I would get the Agile, they are amazing guitars for the money.
May 19 2011 08:10pm
werd...yeah not too worried about resale value because well, it's a 400 dollar guitar......thanks for the imput, appreciate it...so another person validating what i've read. agile > epiphone...
Gold: 0.00
May 19 2011 09:08pm
Agile is better, in every conceivable way.
May 20 2011 12:48pm
aight so i've also heard when you first get a guitar it's best to take it to a place where they can "set it up" by making adjustments and kinda inspecting it, i guess. this make sense or am i pulling this shit outta my ass somehow?

but yeah anything else i need to do, assuming i buy the agile?

This post was edited by basebalplyr88 on May 20 2011 12:49pm
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
May 23 2011 10:21am
Agile offers a much better price point than "big name" starter guitars like Epiphone/Squier. A $400 Agile guitar is going to be better than pretty much anything in the Epiphone line. "big name" brands tend to be really overpriced, but finding the balance of inexpensive yet high quality can be tough.

Quote (basebalplyr88 @ May 20 2011 02:48pm)
aight so i've also heard when you first get a guitar it's best to take it to a place where they can "set it up" by making adjustments and kinda inspecting it, i guess. this make sense or am i pulling this shit outta my ass somehow?

but yeah anything else i need to do, assuming i buy the agile?

Setting up the guitar may or may not be necessary, a lot of stores really overcharge for it, especially on less expensive guitars. The two important parts of setting up a guitar are intonation (adjusting the saddles on the bridge) and action/string height throughout the neck - generally the 1st/12th/24th frets are checked (this is a mix of adjusting the truss rod and bridge height for the most part). I learned to do this myself, based entirely off of a few guides I found using Google, and my only guitar at the time (plus lots of caution). Read over multiple guides until you understand the process and can visualize it through without referencing the guide, then do it and check the guides on anything you need. It takes me maybe two hours for a complete change of string gauges and tuning to take the old strings off, clean up the guitar, and intonate/adjust action and have it ready to play. Most new guitars come pretty close to being set up right, generally if they come with the gauges of strings that you want, you will have minimal setup to do. A lot of guitar shops will charge $70-150 for a package deal that includes a new nut (not needed) and a set of strings, which is a ridiculous price.

The only thing you need to know about doing it yourself is that you should turn the truss rod at most 1/8 turn every 5-10 minutes and observe the effects, other than that, you won't destroy your guitar doing it yourself, just be careful with everything, make minor changes and observe the results.
May 29 2011 12:08pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ May 23 2011 11:21am)
Agile offers a much better price point than "big name" starter guitars like Epiphone/Squier. A $400 Agile guitar is going to be better than pretty much anything in the Epiphone line. "big name" brands tend to be really overpriced, but finding the balance of inexpensive yet high quality can be tough.

Setting up the guitar may or may not be necessary, a lot of stores really overcharge for it, especially on less expensive guitars. The two important parts of setting up a guitar are intonation (adjusting the saddles on the bridge) and action/string height throughout the neck - generally the 1st/12th/24th frets are checked (this is a mix of adjusting the truss rod and bridge height for the most part). I learned to do this myself, based entirely off of a few guides I found using Google, and my only guitar at the time (plus lots of caution). Read over multiple guides until you understand the process and can visualize it through without referencing the guide, then do it and check the guides on anything you need. It takes me maybe two hours for a complete change of string gauges and tuning to take the old strings off, clean up the guitar, and intonate/adjust action and have it ready to play. Most new guitars come pretty close to being set up right, generally if they come with the gauges of strings that you want, you will have minimal setup to do. A lot of guitar shops will charge $70-150 for a package deal that includes a new nut (not needed) and a set of strings, which is a ridiculous price.

The only thing you need to know about doing it yourself is that you should turn the truss rod at most 1/8 turn every 5-10 minutes and observe the effects, other than that, you won't destroy your guitar doing it yourself, just be careful with everything, make minor changes and observe the results.

sweet you make it sounds so easy (maybe it is)...gonna have a buddy do it for me so i don't have to pay and so i learn how to do it...anyway guitar came in yesterday along with my buddy's amp which was going to be the mustang III but he decided to keep that and give me his vox 20 i think it's called...so not as good but it'll work. so anyway i forgot one thing...the chord which goes from the amp to the guitar. how important is that? i mean is there enough of a difference for me to spend more than 25 bucks on one? i'd ask at a guitar center but i'm not going until tomorrow
Gold: 36.00
May 29 2011 02:37pm
Quote (basebalplyr88 @ May 29 2011 11:08am)
sweet you make it sounds so easy (maybe it is)...gonna have a buddy do it for me so i don't have to pay and so i learn how to do it...anyway guitar came in yesterday along with my buddy's amp which was going to be the mustang III but he decided to keep that and give me his vox 20 i think it's called...so not as good but it'll work. so anyway i forgot one thing...the chord which goes from the amp to the guitar. how important is that? i mean is there enough of a difference for me to spend more than 25 bucks on one? i'd ask at a guitar center but i'm not going until tomorrow

No, only use hi-fi cables when they are in longer chains, or when recording. For live use, your $10 cable will work just as well man. I own 2 $80 monster cables that I use, and honestly it was kind of a waste of $160, but they are good quality at least lol, I have used the same 2 for about 4 years. There is talk of high frequency loss, but you will not notice any difference really man.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll