d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > 2 Guitar Questions
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 13,003.50
May 5 2011 07:59pm
Anyone know much about Univox guitar? My dad has one from the 70s and its a LP copy but i dont know much else about it and google hasnt shown much. I have a strat (that costs 800 new) and the Univox sounds way better but needs some TLC

Which brings my next question, anyone ever restore vintage guitars? The finish on all of the wood is still great for the most part but all of the knobs and switches are worn down badly and the pickups, tuners, and bridge dont look so hot either. The bridge actually looks terrible, all of the finish has worn off and its just rusty looking almost. Im hoping to replace everything over the summer and start playing the Univox more instead of my strat but i dont really know how to go about restoring it without destroying and original value it may have.

Also what type of pickups would you guys recommend, ive heard most people mention DiMarzios but i have never really looked into to upgrading either of my guitars despite the fact that i have been playing for years

another question, any recommendations for strat pickups too? I play lots of different styles of music, some more metal types as well as a lot of blues types

This post was edited by AXIS on May 5 2011 08:01pm
Gold: 4,807.80
May 6 2011 02:10am
First and foremost, if you replace anything electronic then the value decreases.

Do the electrics work? If they work but look ugly, clean them. If they don't work, then you will need to replace them and solder them in. I have not replaced electronics on a guitar before - I may eventually try it out on my shitty Stagg but I wouldn't delve into a potentially vintage guitar without knowing what i'm doing.

You can get guitar polish for the bridge, you can fretdress yourself, and you can source replacement knobs (but probably won't be Univox).

Any pics? :D
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll