d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Question Regarding Singing > The Voice And So On
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 68.00
Apr 27 2011 04:47am
Hello guys !
I am not quite sure whether this is the the proper section to gain insight into the world of the singers'.

First of all .. I am male, 17 years old.
I was always interested into music and now I would really like to learn singing but as we all know .. it's really tough to become a good singer.
Now im wondering .. what does singing implies? Does it require to have a good voice as such or is it able to "learn" a good voice?
Furthermore, do I have to know the different voice levels ( vocal range ) such as g, d, f or something like this. ( Sorry, I have no clue at all.. )
Besides this .. due to some kinds of allergies my nose is often off / closed .. does this affect my voice, because I sometimes think so.

I have never attend a singing lesson or anything like this yet, I am just a custom person who sings at home when gettin' bored or simply to have fun.

Now another question: How can I improve my voice? I've looked up on Youtube and I saw some videos where people teach us singing by making really weird noises and so on. Is this the only method? Or is there any other?

I would really appreciate for any kind of reply regarding my query !
Thank you in anticipation !

~Tyzo
Gold: 0.00
Apr 27 2011 07:56am
I'm working on improving and developing my voice as well. I'm not really a great singer so I couldnt really give you any advice.
Gold: 107.00
Apr 27 2011 09:57am
Quote (Tyzo @ Apr 27 2011 02:47am)
Hello guys !
I am not quite sure whether this is the the proper section to gain insight into the world of the singers'.

First of all .. I am male, 17 years old.
I was always interested into music and now I would really like to learn singing but as we all know .. it's really tough to become a good singer.
Now im wondering .. what does singing implies? Does it require to have a good voice as such or is it able to "learn" a good voice?
Furthermore, do I have to know the different voice levels ( vocal range ) such as g, d, f or something like this. ( Sorry, I have no clue at all.. )
Besides this .. due to some kinds of allergies my nose is often off / closed .. does this affect my voice, because I sometimes think so.

I have never attend a singing lesson or anything like this yet, I am just a custom person who sings at home when gettin' bored or simply to have fun.

Now another question: How can I improve my voice? I've looked up on Youtube and I saw some videos where people teach us singing by making really weird noises and so on. Is this the only method? Or is there any other?

I would really appreciate for any kind of reply regarding my query !
Thank you in anticipation !

~Tyzo

I'm not a singer, but as a band member and just a plain musician I think the concept of music is usually pretty similar.

Things to remember about singing:
1) Melody
2) Rhythm
3) Timing and placement
4) Lyrics

You can be a great singer, even if you use a shitty tone (Dave Mustaine, Dave Matthews). Basically, how are your words flowing with the rhythm and melody of other instruments/layers in a song.

To answer your questions specifically
- 1: Singing implies using the voice to add a new unique layer to a song to add power, and lyrics can help too. Really good lyrics (Bon Scott, Lynrd skynrd guy) can make a song epic, but shitty lyrics with an amazing vocal melody can still stand out as well, just not as good.

- 2: Learning different vocal ranges only increases your capability to add to a song. It isn't necessary and a lot of singers never evolve to a new style or even different ranges (the guy from Nickleback). If you have the ability to do high or low stuff, that is cool but it is all about finding what's most comfortable to you and applying it to the music you create.

- 3: Yes. Allergies, stuffy nose, sickness or anything relating to the passage way of wind through your body can affect the way you sing. There are a lot of ways to combat this, and if your serious about singing then you can find those.

- 4: No, there isn't just one way to sing. You can use strait acoustic tone of voice, you can add layers, you can add effects, you can just make sounds, you can try different flow techniques and lyrical styles, you don't have to rhyme everytime you smoke a dime. Music should never be replecant of anything else, because it's art reflecting the unique view you have that no one else has.
Gold: 4,807.80
Apr 27 2011 10:19am
TBH - I don't really know if there's much you can do if you have never done anything beyond shower singing. Britains Got Talent and all those talent shows are a perfect example, they think they sound amazing until they do it infront of people.

I suggest you go to a singing teacher/vocal coach. (like guitar) if you start singing with bad technique, then you'll develop badly and possibly damage your vocal chords and god forbid, get nodes :o

I had a vocal coach for 8 years from 10-18, i have a great voice but it's gone untrained for 2 years or so, and I know I need the help to get back to my standard before I take it live. I would love to play guitar AND sing, but I can't get the rhythm right and struggle with it greatly.
Gold: 68.00
Apr 27 2011 10:54am
Thank you for the replies guys ! I'll answer on it since i've found something unclear !
So .. singing does not imply knowing the keys from the piano and the tone levels? Haven't quite understood that, sorry!
Gold: 0.00
Apr 27 2011 10:57am
Quote (Tyzo @ Apr 27 2011 12:54pm)
Thank you for the replies guys ! I'll answer on it since i've found something unclear !
So .. singing does not imply knowing the keys from the piano and the tone levels? Haven't quite understood that, sorry!

Well, It's good to recognize what keys you sing best in. Because there are VERY few singers that can sing in every key equally well.

So if your playing with some friends and the key doesn't feel right to you, You can ask them "can we take it up/down key? I sing best in A."
When this happens its good to have a capo handy for guitar players. For piano players it easy, just move your fingers up/down a key.

This post was edited by weasleface on Apr 27 2011 10:58am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll