d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Help Me Speed Up My Chord Playing! > How Do I Do This?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 19 2011 04:06pm
Please reply with something more than "practice", cause I already realize it requires more than will power...

is there an exercizes you might have had success with or, play fast and make mistakes, and hope i get better, or play well and slow, and hope i get faster..

maybe play each note in the chord 1 by 1 would help my fingers?

idk, help me out yall
Gold: 1,299.00
Apr 19 2011 04:19pm
All i can really tell you dude is like if your having trouble with the F for instance just keep practicing from like C to F changes or just run your F position the whole way down the neck by taking it off and putting it back on again memorizing the postitions. I guess for me it came in practice or just natural i don't know.
Apr 19 2011 04:22pm
chord playing and scale playing is all muscle memory. So for you wanting a reply other than "practice" thats all you will get because thats what you need to do.

The way you get your muscles to remember the chords and scales is by playing them continuously. which is called practice.

But if you want to get better at it, you can choose a set of chord you might find hard to play and transfer between them over and over til you can hit those right.

I've been playing guitar for 6 years now and Even when I find a new chord it takes me a couple minutes to get my musicles trained to memorize it and be able to transfer without buzzing.

So just take your time on making clean, easy transfers of chords. discover new chords and new chord progressions, practice those and move on doing the same thing.

A good way to do this do a couple cover songs or what not.
Apr 19 2011 04:29pm
Quote (weasleface @ Apr 19 2011 06:22pm)
chord playing and scale playing is all muscle memory. So for you wanting a reply other than "practice" thats all you will get because thats what you need to do.

The way you get your muscles to remember the chords and scales is by playing them continuously. which is called practice.

But if you want to get better at it, you can choose a set of chord you might find hard to play and transfer between them over and over til you can hit those right.

I've been playing guitar for 6 years now and Even when I find a new chord it takes me a couple minutes to get my musicles trained to memorize it and be able to transfer without buzzing.

So just take your time on making clean, easy transfers of chords. discover new chords and new chord progressions, practice those and move on doing the same thing.

A good way to do this do a couple cover songs or what not.

thnx for replies

ya im doing animals-house of the rising sun

the muscle memory is what im talking about, i know i need practice.

im just wondering what the best wway of doing that is.. playign the same chord over and over, but taking fingers off every time. playing one note at a time in the chord? playing as quickly as i can with mistakes?

im just looking for insight, i can see that im improving, just want to make sure im not wasting any time ;P
Apr 19 2011 05:21pm
Quote (blunderwonder2 @ Apr 19 2011 06:29pm)
thnx for replies

ya im doing animals-house of the rising sun

the muscle memory is what im talking about, i know i need practice.

im just wondering what the best wway of doing that is.. playign the same chord over and over, but taking fingers off every time. playing one note at a time in the chord? playing as quickly as i can with mistakes?

im just looking for insight, i can see that im improving, just want to make sure im not wasting any time ;P

Probobly the best way to do it is to work on each transition of a chord progression slowly making sure you have every finger in the right spot and making sure it doesn't buzz at all.

Never practice like this "playing as quickly as i can with mistakes?" In the end your muscles will remember the mistakes and carry them on. Practice slowly, and firmly. Slowly speeding up to your level of comfort so that in the end you can play the chord flawlessly without buzzing or even looking at the fretboard
Gold: 1.00
Apr 20 2011 01:12am
You identify your goal, and then you slowly inch forward until you reach the goal. You can, for example, identify a song with fast strumming that you would like to be able to play smoothly and without trouble. Then you work with a metronome and slowly work your way up to the speed. You start at a speed you can handle and keep speeding up by one BPM every time and when it starts to get hard, there you will need hours of practicing to move on. It will take time, and determination, yes, but it is worth it. The important thing is to not set your goal too high. Do not try to go out and strum the fastest song out there if you are very slow to begin with. You start with a moderately fast song and work your way up. So to answer your question, yes there is exercises. You just need to take a metronome and work your way faster, increasing the speed 1 BPM at a time until you are at the speed you want.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll