d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Out Of Place - New Song Of Mine
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 17 2011 10:15pm
Gold: 1.00
Apr 17 2011 10:42pm
I don't know what kind of effects you added to the vocals, but it turned out pretty bad. I say focus on projecting your singing and find your own voice - don't cover it up with effects. It may take awhile to find your true voice and it may take a lot of practice - for some it takes years - but I suggest you work on your natural voice. While I didn't enjoy the song at all, I actually sort of enjoyed the lyrics (the chorus). Maybe I just liked it better because it's the first song that's not about Jeebus o.O (or at least vague enough lyrics that it doesn't have to be about Jeebus).

Also: I feel like the harmonica is uncreative and sounds the same in every song. Maybe it's just me, but either way, a harmonica can only make so many sounds. I suggest you save harmonica for just a few songs - it does not belong in every song imo.

This is me and my hopefully "constructive criticism". Good luck!
Apr 18 2011 07:55am
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Apr 18 2011 12:42am)
I don't know what kind of effects you added to the vocals, but it turned out pretty bad. I say focus on projecting your singing and find your own voice - don't cover it up with effects. It may take awhile to find your true voice and it may take a lot of practice - for some it takes years - but I suggest you work on your natural voice. While I didn't enjoy the song at all, I actually sort of enjoyed the lyrics (the chorus). Maybe I just liked it better because it's the first song that's not about Jeebus o.O (or at least vague enough lyrics that it doesn't have to be about Jeebus).

Also: I feel like the harmonica is uncreative and sounds the same in every song. Maybe it's just me, but either way, a harmonica can only make so many sounds. I suggest you save harmonica for just a few songs - it does not belong in every song imo.

This is me and my hopefully "constructive criticism". Good luck!

The only effects are Compression, EQ, and Reverb. And all those effects are used in professional studios with pretty much every song you hear.

I don't use the harmonica in every song, I have actually made a couple songs recently that don't have any harmonica.
I just felt this song sounded really good with harmonica. I could add guitar solos to every song as well but I feel its just as cheesy as a harmonica lol

I believe I've alrdy found my true voice. But regardless if I have or not, without those 3 effects my vocals would sound WAYYY worse. And it doesn't really hide the sound of my voice, I can hear it fine.

Your critisism has been noted, but what your saying is for me to turn off the effects. Which won't really do anything but make my vocals sound worse lol
I've alrdy made songs without reverb, EQ, and compression and the vocals in them sound horrible.

This post was edited by weasleface on Apr 18 2011 07:55am
Gold: 1,299.00
Apr 18 2011 09:36pm
Dude is this a joke? It fuckin blows, i can't even give any structual advice lmao.
Apr 18 2011 09:50pm
Quote (13375 @ Apr 18 2011 11:36pm)
Dude is this a joke? It fuckin blows, i can't even give any structual advice lmao.

lol
Gold: 1.00
Apr 20 2011 12:26am
Quote (weasleface @ Apr 18 2011 08:55am)
The only effects are Compression, EQ, and Reverb. And all those effects are used in professional studios with pretty much every song you hear.

I don't use the harmonica in every song, I have actually made a couple songs recently that don't have any harmonica.
I just felt this song sounded really good with harmonica. I could add guitar solos to every song as well but I feel its just as cheesy as a harmonica lol

I believe I've alrdy found my true voice. But regardless if I have or not, without those 3 effects my vocals would sound WAYYY worse. And it doesn't really hide the sound of my voice, I can hear it fine.

Your critisism has been noted, but what your saying is for me to turn off the effects. Which won't really do anything but make my vocals sound worse lol
I've alrdy made songs without reverb, EQ, and compression and the vocals in them sound horrible.

It will reveal your true voice and force you to address your problems with your singing. Your voice is not inherently bad, but you have a lot of work to do on your technique in my opinion. If you think that your singing without any effects sounds "way worse" then it just means you need to improve your singing, ie with practice and working on your technique. I think you are imitating a singing style that does not work well with your natural voice. Your vocals are much too nasally and throaty, and it simply does not work, based on the natural sound of your voice. Open up your throat and try to sing in a different way. Take a look at some of the singers you enjoy listening to and try to imitate their singing so you can discover new sounds to make and new ways in which you can sing. Keep in mind I am not telling you to imitate other vocalists as a way of writing songs, but this is simply a way to get started, and find all the sounds you can make with your voice. The way you sing in this song sounds bad, even with the effects on. The effects simply take a bad vocals and just make them sound even more unnatural imo. It might help to just find some popular songs and try to sing them exactly like the actual singer does, to work on your technique. What you are doing now is a very strange singing technique that is nasally and sounds very unnatural and unappealing. Please heed my advice!
Apr 20 2011 05:15am
ur voice its just not appropriate for singing, sry man it just hurts my ears lol... the singing was good just your tone its really not cool. mine its kinda the same way so i never sing lol
Apr 20 2011 06:42am
Quote (PSPZorZ @ Apr 20 2011 02:26am)
It will reveal your true voice and force you to address your problems with your singing. Your voice is not inherently bad, but you have a lot of work to do on your technique in my opinion. If you think that your singing without any effects sounds "way worse" then it just means you need to improve your singing, ie with practice and working on your technique. I think you are imitating a singing style that does not work well with your natural voice. Your vocals are much too nasally and throaty, and it simply does not work, based on the natural sound of your voice. Open up your throat and try to sing in a different way. Take a look at some of the singers you enjoy listening to and try to imitate their singing so you can discover new sounds to make and new ways in which you can sing. Keep in mind I am not telling you to imitate other vocalists as a way of writing songs, but this is simply a way to get started, and find all the sounds you can make with your voice. The way you sing in this song sounds bad, even with the effects on. The effects simply take a bad vocals and just make them sound even more unnatural imo. It might help to just find some popular songs and try to sing them exactly like the actual singer does, to work on your technique. What you are doing now is a very strange singing technique that is nasally and sounds very unnatural and unappealing. Please heed my advice!

Ya, alright I hear ya.

I'll work on finding new ways to sing and stuff. thanks for the advice, I really do need some singing advice badly lol
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll