d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Sore Wrist From Guitar
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.70
Apr 7 2011 06:09am
i upped my time playing the guitar from half an hour to 3-4 hours a day. i did this two weeks ago and now i've got a sore wrist. i cant put much pressure on it. anyone had this before?
Gold: 12.00
Apr 7 2011 07:19am
Might be developing tendentious. To go from 1/2 hour a day to 3-4 hours is hard work on your body. You need to stretch properly like an athlete with that much practice. Honestly, go see a massage therapist and learn some proper stretches. Try this one:

Stand up straight.
Put your right arm straight out in front of you and flatten your fingers. Palm facing down.
Bend at the wrist and your fingers towards the floor, keeping your arm straight out.
Carfully make a fist without bending your wrist. This could be really difficult so go as far as you can without causing pain, enough of a fist so that you feel a stretch
Finally, roll your fist out to your right so that your pinky knuckle is pointing right or parallel to the floor.
Hold this for 20 secs and come out of the stretch quickly, the way you went into it.
Repeat this with your left.

There's a good 3-4 your should do. Probably 50 a therapist could show you. At this point, consider your self injured and continuing to practice at all will cause further injury. Take a week off and apply ice to all areas around your forearms and avoid usage of your wrist. Light hand/arm exorcises and stretching would speed the heeling process but do without straining on your wrist. If you're not feeling 100% but feeling better after one week, take a second week off and continue this recovery process. If no improvement is noticed after the first week, seek a medical opinion. I'd see a massage therapist at this point regardless.
Gold: 4,807.80
Apr 7 2011 07:20am
Gold: 0.00
Apr 7 2011 02:33pm
Quote (rawwwrr @ Apr 7 2011 07:09am)
i upped my time playing the guitar from half an hour to 3-4 hours a day. i did this two weeks ago and now i've got a sore wrist. i cant put much pressure on it. anyone had this before?

Tendonitis/Carpel Tunnel is no joke and extremely easy to get if you arent educated on how to go about warming up and cooling down.

I had tendonitis for a year, to a point where I couldn't even open up doorknobs without pain. I looked around a bit for help and came across this thing called the NSD powerball, you can find it at ( http://www.powerballs.com/ )

Amazing investment, and within weeks all of my pain went away, never to return.

Its been a while since that episode occurred and I still used the powerball. Amazing product.

This post was edited by iOoze on Apr 7 2011 02:33pm
Gold: 19,597.59
Apr 7 2011 02:40pm
also make sure you are using correct position with your hand. this is important if you plan on plaing for 20 more years. my wrists kill me due to computer and bad posture with instruments. i find that not just stretching the wrist, but stretching your whole arm, especially at the elbow really helps. gl!
Gold: 0.00
Apr 7 2011 02:41pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ Apr 7 2011 03:40pm)
also make sure you are using correct position with your hand. this is important if you plan on plaing for 20 more years. my wrists kill me due to computer and bad posture with instruments. i find that not just stretching the wrist, but stretching your whole arm, especially at the elbow really helps. gl!

Real talk.

Be careful not to stretch too much or hyper extend, this too can cause damage.

This post was edited by iOoze on Apr 7 2011 02:41pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll