d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Home Recording? > Getting That Sound
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,106.00
Apr 5 2011 07:05pm
Hey guys. I've recently gotten into home recording. I've got an okay audio interface and some decent microphones. But when I record, it just sounds kind of tinny and not loud. I was wondering how to get that full sound when you record. Like it's the only thing going on and it's loud. I guess you just have to know what I'm talking about to understand.
Gold: 12.00
Apr 6 2011 08:10am
Mic placement and gain stages will affect the thinness or "tiny" sound. What kind of mic are you using? Are you running any type of mic pre?
Gold: 0.00
Apr 6 2011 11:30am
I'm doing home recording everyday now and I know exactly what your talking about.

I used to have that really tinny and empty sound and always wondered how you get teh full sound out of it.

The answer is mic, mic placement, compression, EQ, and envirment.

I bought upgraded my mic to a Sterling Audio ST66 Tube mic and learned how to use compression and EQ and my vocal sound changed ALOT for the better.

Learn to use compression and EQ is the cheap way.

What software are you using to record?
Gold: 1,106.00
Apr 6 2011 04:01pm
Thanks for the tips so far guys! I'll definitely give them a shot later today. As for my set up, I have MXL 990/991 condenser microphones. I plug them straight into my Lambda USB Audio Interface which provides 48V Phantom Power. The Audio interface goes into my PC which has Cubase LE 4 running on it. If anyone could let me know how to compress, equalize, and how to even use this software or something similar, I'd be really appreciative! :)
Apr 7 2011 07:41am
Quote (Akpaloli @ Apr 6 2011 06:01pm)
Thanks for the tips so far guys! I'll definitely give them a shot later today. As for my set up, I have MXL 990/991 condenser microphones. I plug them straight into my Lambda USB Audio Interface which provides 48V Phantom Power. The Audio interface goes into my PC which has Cubase LE 4 running on it. If anyone could let me know how to compress, equalize, and how to even use this software or something similar, I'd be really appreciative! :)

your in very much luck becuase I used to use Cubase LE 4 but I upgraded to Cubase 5 now.

Anyway, when you make a track go to inserts-> Dynamics -> compression

So add compression and then choose a preset if your not sure how to use compression. just click the little blank black bar at the top of the compression screen and choose a preset that you like.

For EQ for to inserts-> EQ and add EQ and choose a preset.

Or you can use green EQ which is alrdy in your track options on the left, you just need to activate it by clicking the little power button and adjusting the frequency and gain to where you want them according to what sound you want.

It also helps to add some reverb to make it sound sexy, which is also in the inserts section.

This post was edited by weasleface on Apr 7 2011 07:41am
Apr 7 2011 09:59am
here is a video that will give you a little light on plug-ins and effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsoXhATJsRA

at time 1:03 it shows exactly what im talking about how to add compression. just watch.
Gold: 19,597.59
Apr 7 2011 02:42pm
Quote (weasleface @ Apr 6 2011 12:30pm)
I'm doing home recording everyday now and I know exactly what your talking about.

I used to have that really tinny and empty sound and always wondered how you get teh full sound out of it.

The answer is mic, mic placement, compression, EQ, and envirment.

I bought upgraded my mic to a Sterling Audio ST66 Tube mic and learned how to use compression and EQ and my vocal sound changed ALOT for the better.

Learn to use compression and EQ is the cheap way.

What software are you using to record?

this guy knows. compression and EQ is where its at! also helps to have a nice condensor mic (which you can buy for $100-150++).

edit: AKG PERCEPTION IS $99 I THINK. GREAT FOR TEH $$

This post was edited by juliusjuice on Apr 7 2011 02:42pm
Apr 8 2011 06:43am
Quote (juliusjuice @ Apr 7 2011 04:42pm)
this guy knows. compression and EQ is where its at! also helps to have a nice condensor mic (which you can buy for $100-150++).

edit: AKG PERCEPTION IS $99 I THINK. GREAT FOR TEH $$

ya im using EZdrummer and its like $80 and its really easy as well. Just a drag and drop midi program.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll