d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Improvisation Related Question
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,417.00
Mar 17 2011 04:00pm
yeah so.. im been practicing for a while now, its getting pretty good IMO, i can do some great licks, but the thing is

i can't think when im playing

when i just sit down and listen to the track tons of licks pops out in my head and im like yeah that sounds good im gonna try that

then when i just on thy guitar, pretty much nothing comes out

i guess its just about praticing

LMK what you think and LMk about you, when happens in your head when you play

thanks
Gold: 4,807.80
Mar 17 2011 06:09pm
Here is an idea for you because improv is a huge subject to talk about.

Put on a song you can play, solo n all, and just improv over the entire thing. The most important thing about improvisation is sounding good. Total Guitar did a great summary in their latest issue which basically says it's all good and well playing lots of stuff, but if it's simply headbutting the fretboard in the vain hope of finding a note in tune, then you'll never get anywhere.

Shredding is also bad for this lol
Gold: 16,417.00
Mar 17 2011 06:26pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ 17 Mar 2011 17:09)
Here is an idea for you because improv is a huge subject to talk about.

Put on a song you can play, solo n all, and just improv over the entire thing. The most important thing about improvisation is sounding good. Total Guitar did a great summary in their latest issue which basically says it's all good and well playing lots of stuff, but if it's simply headbutting the fretboard in the vain hope of finding a note in tune, then you'll never get anywhere.

Shredding is also bad for this lol

so basicly, there is a base to know to improvise..? i always learned by myself trying stuff
Gold: 15.00
Mar 17 2011 06:57pm
Improvising/Soloing is about following a chord progression and playing scales that fit into those chords, at least in jazz.
For example the standard F Jazz Blues chord progression goes like this:

F7 Bb7 F7 F7
Bb7 Bb7 F7 F7
Gm7 C7 F7 (Gm7 C7)

Each chord is 4 beats (1 measure) and the 2 bracketed chords get 2 beats each.

The scale that fits over F7 is F Mixolydian which is a major scale with a flat (b) scale degree 7. In this case it's Eb.
Same goes with Bb, Bb Mixolydian.
Gm (G Minor) follows the natural minor/aeolian scale which is b3 b6 and b7.

So as you play in time you change the scales you use to follow with the chord progression. And obviously you can break these rules and do what you want, but doing this will guarantee that you are staying 'in key'.

This post was edited by boiledfruit on Mar 17 2011 07:01pm
Gold: 0.00
Mar 18 2011 01:48am
Pretty much learn your scales and like boiled said you need to know what scales you can combine and when or how you can switch, by staying in the scale you can play id say any note within that scale and it will sound 'good' at least not off key.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll