d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > New Defeater Album Acoustic Songs Help Please
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 9 2011 04:09am
I want to learn to play acoustic (I'm decent at electric and play in the hardcore scene with local bands.)
I have absolutely no idea how to play acoustic, and I just picked up this guitar.
The song I'm going to start with is from the new Defeater album. The song is I Don't Mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7d0j6NSg9o
Another song I really like from the album that's acoustic is Headstone, but I haven't seen any tabs.

Anyways, to the point. Can anybody describe to me how to play the chords in this link? http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/defeater/i_dont_mind_crd.htm
It seems easy enough, but I'm not entirely sure which strings to strum on the up and down strokes, etc. etc.

Also, what are some good songs/bands that sound like the acoustics of Defeater?

Thanks in advance.
Mar 9 2011 04:25pm
bump
Mar 10 2011 12:35am
bump
Mar 10 2011 02:22am
Seems like you are used to playing note for note. Try improvising a little bit with some chords progressions, to get that loosey guitar accent. That song you linked seems pretty straightforward thats why im assuming the "feeling" of it its whats giving you problems.
You shouldnt look at covers you play as up and downstrums note by note. But more of your own interpretation of the song.
Mar 10 2011 02:53am
Quote (hotdogski @ Mar 10 2011 12:22am)
Seems like you are used to playing note for note. Try improvising a little bit with some chords progressions, to get that loosey guitar accent. That song you linked seems pretty straightforward thats why im assuming the "feeling" of it its whats giving you problems.
You shouldnt look at covers you play as up and downstrums note by note. But more of your own interpretation of the song.

The problem I'm having is:
-The fuck is a progression?
-Which notes are being strummed at what point? They hold one chord and strum different strings to generate the tune in the song, which is pretty repetitive, but with different chords.

Playing electric, power chords are generally tabbed out so you know which strings to strum. The acoustic tabs I found don't really describe the motions involved.
Mar 10 2011 04:24am
Quote (Trolley @ Mar 10 2011 01:53am)
The problem I'm having is:
-The fuck is a progression?
-Which notes are being strummed at what point? They hold one chord and strum different strings to generate the tune in the song, which is pretty repetitive, but with different chords.

Playing electric, power chords are generally tabbed out so you know which strings to strum. The acoustic tabs I found don't really describe the motions involved.

-Doesnt take that long to google what a note/chord progression is
-Like I said its about the "feeling" of your hand strumming the strings, find your own its hard to explain, and obviously the chords of that song arent gonna be tabbed out. Why do you think they are not?
If you really wanna play it like its on the record just listen to the song over and over until you get what the guy playing it its doing with his right hand.
Mar 10 2011 04:37am
Quote (hotdogski @ Mar 10 2011 02:24am)
-Doesnt take that long to google what a note/chord  progression is
-Like I said its about the "feeling" of your hand strumming the strings, find your own its hard to explain, and obviously the chords of that song arent gonna be tabbed out. Why do you think they are not?
If you really wanna play it like its on the record just listen to the song over and over until you get what the guy playing it its doing with his right hand.

I'll try at it later. I was having a hard time because I snapped high E.
Thanks for the help. :)
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll