d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Electric Guitar
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 60%
Feb 26 2011 10:46pm
Finally decided to pick up my Electric Guitar that I had sitting down for 4+ years in my room, going to put in new strings, tune, etc.
I have books that shows me all the chords, but what would you guys recommend me learning as a beginner?
Gold: 4,807.80
Feb 27 2011 06:32am
The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/animals/house_of_the_rising_sun_crd.htm

This song incorporates some very important chords, and in a great progression because the song is awesome! Once you've learned the chords, you can try and play it the way the lead guitarist plays it.

From there - it depends on your musical taste, but OBV I RECOMMEND TEH METALZ!

Iron Maiden is great to learn. The reason for this is first and foremost, powerchords. Very important chords to learn, but I just know them as the sounds and numbers (i.e. 7-9, 5-7 etc)

If you know Maidens catalogue then you know they never really stop doing what they do (albeit the new album strays a fair bit from the coup) but Run To The Hills, The Wicker Man, Brave New World - AWESOME songs with everything a guitarist could want. Calm clean breakdowns, epic pentatonic solo's and ofcourse, the almighty gallop which always sounds great.

Acoustic open chords are the most important IMO. Without them, you just don't have a clue whats actually going on on the fretboard when you play.
Feb 27 2011 03:48pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Feb 27 2011 06:32am)

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/animals/house%5Fof%5Fthe%5Frising%5Fsun%5Fcrd.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPOCqO3xIg

This song incorporates some very important chords, and in a great progression because the song is awesome! Once you've learned the chords, you can try and play it the way the lead guitarist plays it.

Iron Maiden is great to learn. The reason for this is first and foremost, powerchords. Very important chords to learn, but I just know them as the sounds and numbers (i.e. 7-9, 5-7 etc)

If you know Maidens catalogue then you know they never really stop doing what they do (albeit the new album strays a fair bit from the coup) but Run To The Hills, The Wicker Man, Brave New World - AWESOME songs with everything a guitarist could want. Calm clean breakdowns, epic pentatonic solo's and ofcourse, the almighty gallop which always sounds great.

Acoustic open chords are the most important IMO. Without them, you just don't have a clue whats actually going on on the fretboard when you play.

Thanks man, I'd like to learn Maiden, but I will also focus on Blues musicians such as Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Clapton.
Feb 27 2011 05:47pm
Ahh good call. Pride And Joy is a really great rhythm song, but is a challenge for the most part.

As far as Clapton, Layla/Bad Love/Cocaine are great songs to learn for that.
Feb 27 2011 07:52pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Feb 27 2011 05:47pm)
Ahh good call. Pride And Joy is a really great rhythm song, but is a challenge for the most part.

As far as Clapton, Layla/Bad Love/Cocaine are great songs to learn for that.

Pride and Joy is one hell of a song, and I would love to learn it. I would also like to look at Texas Flood, Voodoo Child, and Superstition when the time comes.
For Clapton, Cocaine, Layla, Wonderful Tonight are all great songs.
Gold: 51.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 27 2011 10:45pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Feb 27 2011 07:32am)

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/animals/house%5Fof%5Fthe%5Frising%5Fsun%5Fcrd.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPOCqO3xIg

Power chords are retarded. Just letting you know.
Feb 28 2011 06:34am
Quote (Phisherman @ 28 Feb 2011 04:45)
Power chords are retarded.  Just letting you know.

Er.......... lolwut?

Power chords are important chords. You gotta learn them to start to improvise them :huh:
Gold: 0.00
Feb 28 2011 10:23am
Quote (Phisherman @ Feb 27 2011 11:45pm)
Power chords are retarded. Just letting you know.

Bad troll
Gold: 51.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 28 2011 05:26pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Feb 28 2011 07:34am)
Er.......... lolwut?

Power chords are important chords. You gotta learn them to start to improvise them :huh:

It doesn't take much skill to improvise using power chords.

Who wants to listen to some chump improvise using power chords? Not me.

This post was edited by Phisherman on Feb 28 2011 05:55pm
Gold: 127.10
Feb 28 2011 05:54pm
all chords are essential to improvising just because power chords sound better in some situations doesnt mean you dont have much skill..
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll