d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Losing Your Voice (help If You're A Vocalist)
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,347.00
Feb 25 2011 02:39pm
I lost my voice about a week and a half ago. It's back now, except when I sing I can't hit the high notes I used to be able to. I can't even talk in a high voice. Is it normal for this to be like this for so long? Like I said, a week and a half.
Also, anything that would help? I always drink throat coat tea. Daily. But I'm not sure what else I could do. I'm just worried that I'll never have my voice completely back.
Gold: 4,807.80
Feb 25 2011 04:00pm
How did you loose your voice - was it a gig?

I still havn't got my voice back completely from Black Label Society on Monday, but the surefire thing that works is Water. Keep drinking water, and gargle it. It moistens your tonsils and helps your mouth remain moist.

Man, I like the word moist.
Gold: 5,347.00
Feb 25 2011 04:17pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Feb 25 2011 03:00pm)
How did you loose your voice - was it a gig?

I still havn't got my voice back completely from Black Label Society on Monday, but the surefire thing that works is Water. Keep drinking water, and gargle it. It moistens your tonsils and helps your mouth remain moist.

Man, I like the word moist.

No I got some sort of sickness to do with my throat. Really sore throat, lost voice. Was like laryngitis and strep throat or something :LOL:
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 100%
Feb 25 2011 04:21pm
Quote (Greeley @ 25 Feb 2011 23:17)
No I got some sort of sickness to do with my throat. Really sore throat, lost voice. Was like laryngitis and strep throat or something :LOL:

eh, then my guess is that your voice will come back completely when the sickness is cured?
Gold: 12.00
Feb 25 2011 09:33pm
Could be vocal cord polyps or nodules? See a doctor. Get a vocal coach.
Gold: 4,807.80
Feb 26 2011 07:39am
Quote (Superchum @ 26 Feb 2011 03:33)
Could be vocal cord polyps or nodules? See a doctor. Get a vocal coach.

Lets pray it's NOT nodules - that will be the end of your singing career for life.

Are you on any medication for throat infection? if so - finish the course, give it a week, then slowly build your voice strength up with excersises/scales
Gold: 3,134.00
Mar 1 2011 06:45am
Quote (Greeley @ 25 Feb 2011 22:17)

If it's somekind of sickness/flu or something like that I'd advice to let it heal before you start singing ("hard") again. Let it heal for few days, let your voice relax and it'll get better. Atleast that has worked for me. Also make sure you warm up your voice before you go singing (incase you don't). It really helps ALOT.

This post was edited by TheBe on Mar 1 2011 06:45am
Gold: 5.00
Mar 7 2011 04:44am
Whatever you do don't force it or it will just damage your vocals. Try to relax it by just talking more soft in general and another thing that helps you sing better is doing cardio to open up your diaphragms. Maybe that will help you rehit the highnotes when you're ready to attempt them again, but again, no rush.
Good luck (:

Cheers
-JaySongs
Gold: 1.00
Mar 7 2011 10:22pm
Quote (Greeley @ Feb 25 2011 03:39pm)
I lost my voice about a week and a half ago. It's back now, except when I sing I can't hit the high notes I used to be able to. I can't even talk in a high voice. Is it normal for this to be like this for so long? Like I said, a week and a half.
Also, anything that would help? I always drink throat coat tea. Daily. But I'm not sure what else I could do. I'm just worried that I'll never have my voice completely back.

It will take a few weeks for your voice to fully rest and return. Don't strain yourself by trying to get back into it too soon. Just because your throat feels better and you *think* it is completely healed does not mean it is, it probably will be another week or so before you are able to hit all the right notes. Good luck!
Gold: 19,597.59
Mar 16 2011 12:49pm
there are several things that damage your vocals to consider, the biggest are smoking and drinking alcohol. also make sure your bedroom maintains a constant humidity (dry air coming through your ventilation causes problems). too much humidity causes mold (allergies are a huge part of voice-loss, you can develop new allergies at any age).

try ditching throat coat tea and try this one: apple-cider vinegar (non-distilled), water, honey. drink it hot, your voice will be temporarily restored for a couple hours. not sure if the alcohol in the vinegar is enought to outweight the positive benefits, but apple-cider vinegar is one of the best things for your body.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll