d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Basic Tone Help > Yeah
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11.00
Feb 8 2011 10:38am
So ive been playing guitar for 4 years or so, and I really CAN play... Also played piano for a while

Im selftaught which is why Im stuck at my current level. To take it to the next level I wanna learn the basics...

For example.. If I hear a node or a tone, I cant tell which one it is... like I cant hear the differense on Bflat or lets say C .. I can hear the differense when played ofc..
What I want to gain, is a larger knowledge of basic music... Like.. I want to be able to tune my guitar without needing online tuners etc.. I just want to be able to remember each sound of each node.. I want to be able to listen to a song, and then being able to play it right after... not perfectly but being able to hear which chords used etc. I can do that now but to find the correct chords etc I have to play the chords randomly to find the right ones

Dunno if theres rly any good way to "learn" this, or if I just have to really study the sounds...

lmk?

This post was edited by Mag1z on Feb 8 2011 10:39am
Gold: 12.00
Feb 8 2011 10:42am
Take vocal lessons. That'll do it.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 8 2011 10:44am
I don't think I can help with hearing a random tone but I've gotten pretty damn accurate at ear tuning my guitar. If you can just learn one pitch that's all you need and for me that one pitch is the first note of Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter", a clean ringing open low e. Just tune the string to match what I hear in my head and tune the rest of the strings to that string, and really, once you have one string at a known pitch you can tune to anything, not just standard.
Gold: 11.00
Feb 8 2011 10:44am
Quote (Superchum @ Feb 8 2011 04:42pm)
Take vocal lessons. That'll do it.

Yeah thought about that yesterday.. its so expensive though.. couldnt find any cheaper than 30 Euros / 40 $ an hour :S quite alot since I would need more than just a few lessons and im in college so money isnt rly what I have the most of :o

Quote (LD_50 @ Feb 8 2011 04:44pm)
I don't think I can help with hearing a random tone but I've gotten pretty damn accurate at ear tuning my guitar. If you can just learn one pitch that's all you need and for me that one pitch is the first note of Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter", a clean ringing open low e. Just tune the string to match what I hear in my head and tune the rest of the strings to that string, and really, once you have one string at a known pitch you can tune to anything, not just standard.

The problem with that is I actually tried it.. but when I then try tuning my guitar I always end up having it tuned down half a step orso coz when remembering a song I dont always remember it in the correct tone lvl... I remember it in which lvl my voice fits it the best :S

This post was edited by Mag1z on Feb 8 2011 10:46am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll