d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Modes Question
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,417.00
Jan 24 2011 02:34pm
ok so, im trying to understand the Gilmour's touch when its time to play a solo

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/gilmours-dorian-use/

i was watching that link

the guy talks about the D dorian mode, which turns out to be the Am scale

what is the difference between them? why didnt he just call it the Am scale?

im having alot of trouble trying to understand modes and stuff like that, i know about relative minor/major but the rest just make my brain overheat

so yeah a bit of explanation if you may :) thanks

This post was edited by icp_1 on Jan 24 2011 02:37pm
Gold: 4,807.80
Jan 24 2011 03:04pm
I'm in the same boat lol. I never studied theory, so I don't get modes either. I look to Skolnick for modes because he uses the ones that impress me the most lol
Gold: 3,152.00
Jan 24 2011 03:05pm
The basic idea behind the modes is that with each of them you get a different sound or "flavor" because you're accenting or focusing on different notes and different patterns and licks etc.

This video gives a basic introduction and overview of the modes and what they accomplish. If you want you can go through his modes series (he has a video for each of the modes Ionian, Dorian etc.) and try and get the concept down. Hope this helps :)

Gold: 16,417.00
Jan 24 2011 03:16pm
Quote (Bloody_hand @ 24 Jan 2011 14:05)
The basic idea behind the modes is that with each of them you get a different sound or "flavor" because you're accenting or focusing on different notes and different patterns and licks etc.

This video gives a basic introduction and overview of the modes and what they accomplish. If you want you can go through his modes series (he has a video for each of the modes Ionian, Dorian etc.) and try and get the concept down. Hope this helps  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQpOfW6TEBI

i think im getting it

http://guitar-music-theory.com/modes.html

i read all of this link, very well explained

In the above example, why did the sound change? Because mixing notes and chords is exactly like mixing colors. Yellow and blue make green but red and blue make purple. Likewise, the G major scale over a G chord makes the so-called "Ionian" sound while the G major scale over an Am chord makes the so-called "Dorian" sound. So, it doesn't matter what kind of pattern or position you're actually playing the scale in nor does the note you start on mean anything. It all depends on what note or chord the scale is being mixed with. For detailed instruction on modes see Fretboard Theory Chapter 8 Modes, and Guitar Modes - The Modal Scales of Popular Music DVD.

Gold: 12.00
Jan 25 2011 06:08pm
The difference is perspective. You say, "Why didn't he just say Am scale?" even simpler, "Why not say C Major scale?!?!" All three scales use the exact same notes! The difference is the way the scale behaves when you start on a different note. If you play C Major starting on C and go up to the first octave and down, the sound is 'happy.' If you play C major and start on A and go up to the first octave and back down, the sound is 'sad.' Even though you've played the same notes, the behavior of the notes change. Now we do the same thing starting on D. The sound is also sad but a different kind of sad, hence why we call it Dorian. Although it's minor sounding, D Minor has a different sound than D Dorian.

Modes are like chord inversions. Play a C major chord, C,E,G. Now play first inversion. It's a different perspective on the same chord and the intervals between the notes change thus making a different sound or color. The first inversion sounds almost sad since the first two notes (E+G) are a minor third apart and the C becomes the 6th. This chord behaves different because you rearranged your C chord, just as in your Dorian mode, you rearange the Tone Tone Semi Tone scale.

Make sense now?
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll