d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Anyone Ever Teach Guitar/bass Before? Need Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.00
Jan 20 2011 03:03pm
I am getting better at memorizing the note names on my bass, instead of using frets or something (IE.....looking at a tab and not saying to myself PLAY THE 7th FRET ON THE A STRING but rather PLAY AN E ON THE A)

I am not, however, getting any better at:

memorizing note sounds

linking notes together to create a pleasing sound

My technical skill isn't all that good either, but I have a feeling that it would be better if I just understood wtf I was doing. Wondering if anyone has advice on ways for me to memorize note sounds, perhaps even interval sounds, and learn about what notes go well together....and doing this all in a learning experience that doesn't involve just sitting there and playing the same thing over again 2000 times that isn't fun at all.

I need an interesting approach to it.
Gold: 6,911.01
Jan 20 2011 09:27pm
I had this same problem, it was to boring. i started with guitar and couldnt figure shit out.. but then i started looking at the keyboard and FORCED myself to memorize the major scale.
then from there i realized once i learned the major scale in key of C i could learn it in D and E, and so on... then you learn which notes are in C, and D, and E. ect.

But the keyboard was single most help in note/scale memorization.
i can take it to almost every instrument now. Guitar, Bass, Flute, or piano(not the best of course, but i know where to play, ect.)
Try it out. just gotta force yourself to do it

Edit: just force yourself to sit down and go through each note on on major scale.
Youtube it

This post was edited by holzstoben on Jan 20 2011 09:28pm
Gold: 20.00
Jan 20 2011 10:04pm
well I don't have access to a piano at home

though I am in a music course this semester, which has a piano lab.

what was the process you did to learn it?

Did you just key it out and say the note in your head, or did you say the note out loud?
Gold: 0.00
Jan 20 2011 11:37pm
If you just want some things to remember interval sounds try these...

minor 2nd = first 2 notes of the pink panther theme song
major 2nd = first chord of chopsticks
dimiished 4th = unpleasant sound, used for things like train whistles
perfect 4th = here comes the bride
perfect 5th = first two notes of the melody of the Star Wars theme song

You might have to find your own for the rest of them, the ones for minor/major 3rd I can't even remember the names of...as for what notes sound good tegether/general music theory, the music course should be very helpful, if you want some instruction in you own time you can try reading these articles...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=the+crusade&search_type=columns
Gold: 4,807.80
Jan 21 2011 03:23am
Quote (LD_50 @ 21 Jan 2011 05:37)
If you just want some things to remember interval sounds try these...

minor 2nd = first 2 notes of the pink panther theme song
major 2nd = first chord of chopsticks
dimiished 4th = unpleasant sound, used for things like train whistles
perfect 4th = here comes the bride
perfect 5th = first two notes of the melody of the Star Wars theme song

You might have to find your own for the rest of them, the ones for minor/major 3rd I can't even remember the names of...as for what notes sound good tegether/general music theory, the music course should be very helpful, if you want some instruction in you own time you can try reading these articles...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=the+crusade&search%5Ftype=columns

FTW - Ty lol!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll