d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Istanbul Cymbals
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 100%
Dec 30 2010 06:25am
Been looking into Istanbul 18"/19" crashes of the Alchemy and Traditional series.
From what ive heard they sound pretty damn awesome and theyre pretty cheap too.

Does anyone have experience with them? I really like the Alchemy 18" Medium/Heavy crashes, but i'd like to hear from someone who owned one before i decide to buy it

This post was edited by Knarf-666 on Dec 30 2010 06:25am
Gold: 12.00
Dec 30 2010 02:51pm
The sound of the cymbals are nice but not consistent from cymbal to cymbal. If you like traditionally made Turkish style cymbals, they're good. But you could consider Bosporus, K Custom/Constantinople, Sabian HH or Meinl Byzance series. Other than consistency, service is the other thing to consider. 2 year warranties on Sabian and Zildjian kinda nice. Pearonally, I like the Bosporus brand of traditional Turkish made cymbals.
Dec 30 2010 03:20pm
Quote (Superchum @ 30 Dec 2010 21:51)
The sound of the cymbals are nice but not consistent from cymbal to cymbal. If you like traditionally made Turkish style cymbals, they're good. But you could consider Bosporus, K Custom/Constantinople, Sabian HH or Meinl Byzance series. Other than consistency, service is the other thing to consider. 2 year warranties on Sabian and Zildjian kinda nice. Pearonally, I like the Bosporus brand of traditional Turkish made cymbals.

I dont really mind the consistancy since in my band I just play with 1 ride, 1 crash and hats. I already have a ride im satisfied with, and i'd just need 1 crash.
The series you mentioned are all VERY pricey compared to the Alchemy series, which is the main reason im considering them. The warranty thing is a good point though, I might have to go for a budget series Sabian or Zildjian

Thanks for the reply
Gold: 12.00
Dec 30 2010 06:15pm
Quote (Knarf-666 @ Dec 30 2010 04:20pm)
I dont really mind the consistancy since in my band I just play with 1 ride, 1 crash and hats. I already have a ride im satisfied with, and i'd just need 1 crash.
The series you mentioned are all VERY pricey compared to the Alchemy series, which is the main reason im considering them. The warranty thing is a good point though, I might have to go for a budget series Sabian or Zildjian

Thanks for the reply

The problem with the consistency thing is the demo one you heard you might like, but the one you end up with could be very different. The first batch of the Istanbul's I heard were thin, dark, smooth and a bit trashy. The next batch I heard were heavy and loud. I suppose if you get a chance to try it first and pick the one you want, that wont be so bad.
Gold: 13.37
Dec 30 2010 08:41pm
Quote (Knarf-666 @ Dec 30 2010 04:20pm)

Thanks for the reply

Check Craigslist/Kijiji for used Cymbals. ALWAYS buy used, you can get cymbals practically new for less than half the price. You can get a nice K Custom Crash for ~$100, maybe less if you find a good deal.

Although Warranties are nice, if you're hitting the Cymbal Correctly and not tightening/letting the Cymbal move enough, you should never break/crack a cymbal.
Dec 30 2010 09:37pm
Quote (arnott15 @ 31 Dec 2010 03:41)
Check Craigslist/Kijiji for used Cymbals. ALWAYS buy used, you can get cymbals practically new for less than half the price. You can get a nice K Custom Crash for ~$100, maybe less if you find a good deal. 

Although Warranties are nice, if you're hitting the Cymbal Correctly and not tightening/letting the Cymbal move enough, you should never break/crack a cymbal.

im pretty paranoid about buying 2nd hand cymbals :( my dad drums too, and he had enough bad experiences with it

Quote (Superchum @ 31 Dec 2010 01:15)
The problem with the consistency thing is the demo one you heard you might like, but the one you end up with could be very different. The first batch of the Istanbul's I heard were thin, dark, smooth and a bit trashy. The next batch I heard were heavy and loud. I suppose if you get a chance to try it first and pick the one you want, that wont be so bad.

yeah ill obviously try them out before i buy ^^
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll