d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > How Do I Increase My Embouchure? > Brass Players
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 19,610.00
Dec 21 2010 07:20pm
I need to increase my embouchure cuz i am getting to tired after an hour and a half of playing...

its become a big issure cuz i need to be able to hang with my band...

any tips please?
Gold: 160.99
Dec 27 2010 03:57am
Gold: 0.00
Dec 27 2010 09:17pm
Im a trumpet player.

First, what instrument are you playing?
Are you using the basic mouthpiece, which came with the isntrument?
How many years have you been practicing
The problem may be due by the excess of pression you put inbetween you teeth-chops-mouthpiece.
Id be glad to help you after you answered tha 3 questions.(you can hit me with a pm)

Gxy
Dec 28 2010 06:09pm
Quote (Gxy @ Dec 27 2010 08:17pm)
Im a trumpet player.

First, what instrument are you playing?
Are you using the basic mouthpiece, which came with the isntrument?
How many years have you been practicing
The problem may be due by the excess of pression you put inbetween you teeth-chops-mouthpiece.
Id be glad to help you after you answered tha 3 questions.(you can hit me with a pm)

Gxy

Trumpet player as well.

I have a bach 7C mouthpeice.

I used to play 8 years ago in from jr high thru high school.

I was asked to play with a skaband and everytime we practice my chops can't seem to hang...
Dec 28 2010 10:27pm
7c is a standard mouthpiece.

You should try a 1/ 1/2c or 3c mouthpiece.A no-name brand can be easily found on e-bay for about 20$. The tone will be better and you will be able to play longer, but mostly in lower register.
If you are Trumpet *1 then keep your 7c.
I think you're problem is the warm-up.
I had the same problem as you. My teacher told me to warm up, at first i was like Huh shut up... the next year, I had no choice but to listen to him.
So yeah, Warm up 5-10 mins before practice. First, buzz with mouthpiece(about 30secs) then, play long low notes on the trumpet. And then do scales and arpeggios, slowly going higher and higher.

And
What's the highest note you can hit ?
And what the highest note you feel confortable playing in a song?

-Warm up

And if your chops hurt or bleed, thats good. But let them heal before playing again. The more it hurts, the more you are improving your higher register, but dont overdose
:D

°~Gxy
Warn: 30%
Dec 29 2010 05:24pm
Aaaahhhhh something I can help with.... Your best net is to do something like sit down and watch tv an during a boring part or commercials, buzz to the maximum pitch and lowest pitch. As you progress attempt to get higher and lower. Hope this helped :)
Dec 29 2010 10:04pm
Quote (Gxy @ Dec 28 2010 09:27pm)
7c is a standard mouthpiece.

You should try a 1/ 1/2c or 3c mouthpiece.A no-name brand can be easily found on e-bay for about 20$. The tone will be better and you will be able to play longer, but mostly in lower register.
If you are Trumpet *1 then keep your 7c.
I think you're problem is the warm-up.
I had the same problem as you. My teacher told me to warm up, at first i was like Huh shut up... the next year, I had no choice but to listen to him.
So yeah, Warm up 5-10 mins before practice. First, buzz with mouthpiece(about 30secs) then, play long low notes on the trumpet. And then do scales and arpeggios, slowly going higher and higher.

And
What's the highest note you can hit ?
And what the highest note you feel confortable playing in a song?

-Warm up

And if your chops hurt or bleed, thats good. But let them heal before playing again. The more it hurts, the more you are improving your higher register, but dont overdose
:D

°~Gxy

Nice! deff gonna try that...

Edit* I can hit a C 2 octives high from ur standard c but that's pinching and cracking...

And A an octive from ur basic is wat I can hit with no struggle

Quote (I3I2I1IKABOOM @ Dec 29 2010 04:24pm)
Aaaahhhhh something I can help with.... Your best net is to do something like sit down and watch tv an during a boring part or commercials, buzz to the maximum pitch and lowest pitch. As you progress attempt to get higher and lower. Hope this helped :)

not a bad idea!

This post was edited by ZK9GT on Dec 29 2010 10:10pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll