d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Bass Tapping > ...or Tapping In General
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 21 2010 04:23pm
Anyone here have any experience with this?

I have no problems with the fretting or speed of the section I'm trying to learn but have a horrible time keeping it clean, especially when moving across strings. I always seem to leave the string ringing an open note. Do i just need to keep practicing controlling my release or is there another technique I am unaware of?
Gold: 1.00
Dec 22 2010 01:00pm
go slow and keep it clean. practice without distortion.
Dec 30 2010 04:29pm
put a hair scrunchie on your neck by the nut. it will help keep extra ringing from happening. when i dont have a scrunchie i usually tie a sock around the nut.
Gold: 1,650.00
Dec 31 2010 12:36pm
what section are you learning?

unless the section requires more than a single finger tapping on your right hand, anchor your middle finger on top of your index so they're stacked. this will give you a much more powerful and clean tone.

also make sure that when you lift your fingers off the strings, you're pulling OUT, not up towards your head. when you pull the strings UP you are essentially plucking it as an open string.

the wrapping a towel around the headstock trick is for electric guitar with distortion. you'll lose a huge portion of your bass tone if you do this.
Dec 31 2010 01:12pm
Quote (ElephantGuns @ Dec 31 2010 01:36pm)
what section are you learning?

unless the section requires more than a single finger tapping on your right hand, anchor your middle finger on top of your index so they're stacked. this will give you a much more powerful and clean tone.

also make sure that when you lift your fingers off the strings, you're pulling OUT, not up towards your head. when you pull the strings UP you are essentially plucking it as an open string.

the wrapping a towel around the headstock trick is for electric guitar with distortion. you'll lose a huge portion of your bass tone if you do this.

I do have to use more than one finger on my right hand but it was my pull-off/release that was the problem. The tapped notes are as low as the 7th fret and to get my arms/hands into position to do it my fretting hand was ending up at a horrible angle. I adjusted my strap and positioning a bit and it's much better now.
Gold: 1,650.00
Dec 31 2010 05:30pm
which section is it?
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll