d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Improvisation
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,417.00
Dec 8 2010 02:33pm
ight, ive been playing the guitar for a little bitg more then a year, i could rate myself as an intermediate player since i played alot and i love to play the guitar, i play everydays for hours.

i started to improvise but this is still very confiusing for me.

ive learned the whole pentatonic scale and can do some good licks, it soundws great.

ive been using the pentatonic scale.. but what about the non pentatonic scale? i mean, i know that the minor pentatonic scale comes from the minor scale, but when is it the time to use the minor scale??? why take off the notes from the minor to make the pentatonic? im studying some guitar solos(David Gilmour's solos) and he uses alot of notes rhat arent in the pentatonic but that are in the minor scale..

idk if u understand what i mean.. :(
Gold: 4,807.80
Dec 9 2010 07:03am
I understand. What you now need is MODES!

http://modes4guitar.com/

Read all, learn all, improvise till the end of time :)
Gold: 43.00
Dec 12 2010 05:45pm
As a guitar teacher of 9 years, I have had many students with playing experience ask questions like this. There is WAY too much to be said to adequately answer this question, so I suggest getting a guitar teacher but here is the basic stuff you need to do: You need to figure out what key you are playing in. A key is based on a major scale. So, the "key of C" is based off the C Major Scale, which has the notes C D E F G A B in it. That means that if a band is playing a song in the key of C and you need to write a guitar solo for the song, you can use the notes CDEFGAB. The notes you can use change whenever you use a different key. You can easily find info on figuring out what key you are playing in elsewhere. Once you know what key you're playing in, check out the website bob posted. Modes show you how to play all the notes in a key on the entire neck of the guitar. SO once you know what key you are in, find out what modes (which are types of scales) you can play and use artistic inspiration to figure out which notes you want to play. A good place to start is, for instance, if the song is playing an A chord in a spot, use the mode that begins on A while soloing over that chord. Don't worry about why people take notes and make major/minor pentatonic scales or why it works, it'd be WAYYYYY easier for a teacher to show you in person. Hope this helps!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll