d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Jazz Guitar > Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Nov 21 2010 01:52pm
So i'm beginning to take the first steps into jazz guitar, listening to bireli lagrene, charlie christian, django, joe pass and other guitarists

So from a theory standpoint, what progression should i take?

Begin to memorize modes? then the bebop scale? then what? im looking for the proper tools for improvisation
I've taken over 10 years of piano, but that ended 5-6 years ago, so im rusty on theory, BUT familiar

What should a jazz guitarist have in his arsenal?

Any advice from experienced guitarists are welcome :D

Gold: 3.57
Nov 21 2010 05:17pm
memorize the greek scales, also if u havent checked the circle of fifths its a good idea for harmonies :)
Gold: 60.01
Nov 21 2010 05:21pm
Quote (Quacksalber @ 21 Nov 2010 22:52)
So i'm beginning to take the first steps into jazz guitar, listening to bireli lagrene, charlie christian, django, joe pass and other guitarists

So from a theory standpoint, what progression should i take?

Begin to memorize modes? then the bebop scale? then what? im looking for the proper tools for improvisation
I've taken over 10 years of piano, but that ended 5-6 years ago, so im rusty on theory, BUT familiar

What should a jazz guitarist have in his arsenal?

Any advice from experienced guitarists are welcome :D

Definetely at least (majors) modes. Then at least melodic and harmonic minors + their modes.
Meaby spend some time studying jazz phrazing (is this correctly spelled ? :D ), meaning chromatic approaching of the "target" note and so on.
Gold: 12.00
Nov 22 2010 08:33am
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Nov 22 2010 11:28am
Buy a chord chart - not a book, a big poster (they're $5 or so at music stores, even Wal-Mart has them) - learn all the major/minor chords, learn the 7th chords, and any other chords that you come across in music. Practice switching chords. Practice everything to a metronome.
Learn where every note is on the fretboard, start learning major/minor scales across the fretboard, practice improvising within fret limits (i.e. 7th to 12th fret, open to 5th fret, etc.), then moving around. Once you feel that you know the major/minor scales, start doing the same with modes. Move into blues, bebop, and altered scales (i.e. harmonic minor) when you are feeling more comfortable with the fretboard.

Learn songs and riffs to have fun, jam along to a song you like to warm up, when you are frustrated, or when you need a break from the regimented stuff. Figure out when and how much time you will have to practice - 30 minutes per day is better than six hours one day a week. Break down what you want to learn, spend 10 minutes each on chords, scales, improv over a backing - base it off of the amount of time you have and what you have trouble playing. If something comes easily, spend some time on it. If something gives you trouble, spend more time on it.

Take every chance you have to play with trained musicians, especially to critique your technique.

Always practice (exercises etc) without distortion, on the bridge pickup, and with as little as possible that could cover up imperfections in your playing.

Buy some instructional material, generally the most common starter/basic books are common for a reason. Stuff used in schools can be either very expensive, or very cheap because tons of players sell used copies - old editions are great, because solid technique hasn't changed.
Gold: 43.00
Nov 22 2010 01:16pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ Nov 22 2010 05:28pm)
Buy a chord chart - not a book, a big poster (they're $5 or so at music stores, even Wal-Mart has them) - learn all the major/minor chords, learn the 7th chords, and any other chords that you come across in music. Practice switching chords. Practice everything to a metronome.
Learn where every note is on the fretboard, start learning major/minor scales across the fretboard, practice improvising within fret limits (i.e. 7th to 12th fret, open to 5th fret, etc.), then moving around. Once you feel that you know the major/minor scales, start doing the same with modes. Move into blues, bebop, and altered scales (i.e. harmonic minor) when you are feeling more comfortable with the fretboard.

Learn songs and riffs to have fun, jam along to a song you like to warm up, when you are frustrated, or when you need a break from the regimented stuff. Figure out when and how much time you will have to practice - 30 minutes per day is better than six hours one day a week. Break down what you want to learn, spend 10 minutes each on chords, scales, improv over a backing - base it off of the amount of time you have and what you have trouble playing. If something comes easily, spend some time on it. If something gives you trouble, spend more time on it.

Take every chance you have to play with trained musicians, especially to critique your technique.

Always practice (exercises etc) without distortion, on the bridge pickup, and with as little as possible that could cover up imperfections in your playing.

Buy some instructional material, generally the most common starter/basic books are common for a reason. Stuff used in schools can be either very expensive, or very cheap because tons of players sell used copies - old editions are great, because solid technique hasn't changed.

I would definitely not suggest starting off with a wall chart. I work in a music store, in Print Music.. I'm also a jazz session bassist. I learned using the Aebersold series. Check it out. The books cover scales and progressions, cycle of fifths etc etc
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll