d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Keyboarding.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 173.00
Sep 27 2010 01:59pm
Okay so there is like no keyboarders in my school really at all. I just moved to this school and I am a piano player. (I have not been playing for long I can just play music. I can read a little bit but not entirely. This kid I have a few classes with has been talking to me about trying to join his band because they can't find a keyboardist and he wants me to play synth keyboard and learn the synthesizer/dubstep. I told him I have not the faintest Idea of how to use a synthesizer and have never played synth keyboard nor know the styles. He told me to still come and check them out at their practices.

I do have a good ear for coming up with cool beats and sounds. I also already play guitar/harmonica
Also i am very good with the coordination and synapses of my fingers because I have been playing rhythm games (not shitty guitar hero) for the past 5 years.
I guess my main question is, if I can already play music on the piano and have good synapses/coordination, will I be a natural at a keyboard?
I don't own one yet or anything, and will buy one if it progresses right.

Thanks for reading and iso thoughts.

Also i would like to know a good synth keyboard to start out with that is cheap.

This post was edited by XxCradlexX on Sep 27 2010 02:12pm
Gold: 0.00
Sep 27 2010 02:26pm
umm, hmm, probably should start by attempting to read music, then buy a synth/keyboard. No one can say whether or not you'll be natural, just give it drive and you should succeed. "Good" synth keyboards don't exist on the cheap, might want to buy used though.
Gold: 13.38
Sep 27 2010 02:28pm
Quote (XxCradlexX @ Sep 27 2010 08:59pm)
Okay so there is like no keyboarders in my school really at all. I just moved to this school and I am a piano player. (I have not been playing for long I can just play music. I can read a little bit but not entirely. This kid I have a few classes with has been talking to me about trying to join his band because they can't find a keyboardist and he wants me to play synth keyboard and learn the synthesizer/dubstep. I told him I have not the faintest Idea of how to use a synthesizer and have never played synth keyboard nor know the styles. He told me to still come and check them out at their practices.

I do have a good ear for coming up with cool beats and sounds. I also already play guitar/harmonica
Also i am very good with the coordination and synapses of my fingers because I have been playing rhythm games (not shitty guitar hero) for the past 5 years.
I guess my main question is, if I can already play music on the piano and have good synapses/coordination, will I be a natural at a keyboard?
I don't own one yet or anything, and will buy one if it progresses right.

Thanks for reading and iso thoughts.

Also i would like to know a good synth keyboard to start out with that is cheap.

Get a Korg electribe and Mini-Korg. I also suggest getting some form of computer software and learning to use it if you are going to be playing 'dubstep' as there is not much else you can play dubstep sounds on. Unless you can find a keyboard with a low-pass cut-off control to automate the wobble.
Sep 27 2010 02:36pm
Quote (SnIpErPRO69L337 @ Sep 27 2010 03:28pm)
Get a Korg electribe and Mini-Korg. I also suggest getting some form of computer software and learning to use it if you are going to be playing 'dubstep' as there is not much else you can play dubstep sounds on. Unless you can find a keyboard with a low-pass cut-off control to automate the wobble.

I was looking on craigslist and found this one. I'll be able to get it friday considering it's my birthday. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1976549263.html

The kid told me the one rich kid in the band already bought the equipment for the dubstep or whatever.

I do listen to the kind of music but never fantasized of playing it. And also how different is keyboard from a traditional piano?
Sep 27 2010 02:39pm
Quote (XxCradlexX @ Sep 27 2010 09:36pm)
I was looking on craigslist and found this one. I'll be able to get it friday considering it's my birthday. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1976549263.html

The kid told me the one rich kid in the band already bought the equipment for the dubstep or whatever.

I do listen to the kind of music but never fantasized of playing it. And also how different is keyboard from a traditional piano?

Pretty much the same. It's got midi input, perfect. Basically, the keyboard will be plugged into a pc with some form of software on it (most likely ableton live). The pc will have the wobble automation already routed into the synthesiser module / VST which means when you play a key on the keyboard it will automatically play the wobble. ^_^
Sep 27 2010 02:41pm
Quote (SnIpErPRO69L337 @ Sep 27 2010 03:39pm)
Pretty much the same. It's got midi input, perfect. Basically, the keyboard will be plugged into a pc with some form of software on it (most likely ableton live). The pc will have the wobble automation already routed into the synthesiser module / VST which means when you play a key on the keyboard it will automatically play the wobble. ^_^

Oh that's pretty cool. I don't think this computer has that program or any similar ones. How much does the software usually run?
Sep 27 2010 03:03pm
Quote (XxCradlexX @ Sep 27 2010 09:41pm)
Oh that's pretty cool. I don't think this computer has that program or any similar ones. How much does the software usually run?

wut? CPU usage? or do you mean cost?
Sep 27 2010 03:10pm
Quote (SnIpErPRO69L337 @ Sep 27 2010 04:03pm)
wut? CPU usage? or do you mean cost?

cost wise. I don't have the program on my computer.
Gold: 1.01
Sep 28 2010 10:35am
Quote (XxCradlexX @ Sep 27 2010 10:36pm)
And also how different is keyboard from a traditional piano?

A keyboard compares to a piano like a broken toy car compares to a real car ;)

More precisely:
1) On piano, you have a wooden hammer mechanics which gives you a response to your playing, there are also pedals to control the damper. This gives you many possibilities to control all relevant sound parameters and perform various sound effects. None of this exists on a keyboard: a keyboard has only shitty plastic keys (no response worth speaking of) which will allow for some form of primitive volume control at best. If you have an average developed piano technique, you should have zero problems to downgrade to keyboard (regarding the manual technique).
2) However, if you want to take keyboard playing to a more sophisticated level, there are several methods of controlling the sound: footpedals, control-wheels (etc) allow you to change certain sound parameters, split up the manual in zones, apply effects, etc, the possibilities are endless. This is something you don't have on a piano, but it can be compared to stop knobs on an organ, only less convenient.

Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll